MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read in a few posts about a bypass mod wingy777 has made for the egr valve that has proved an increase in 10bhp on the rollers. does anyone have anyother info on this mod? is it just a simple blanking plate?

thanks to anyone who can offer any help.

krisy

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Krisy,

I think the EGR bypass mod that Wingy claims the 10+bhp increase is on ZTs and not the ZR/ZS models.

He does do a blanking plate for ZR/ZS engine but as far as i know there's been no bhp figures posted for what sort of gains you could expect.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
yer only for the cdti's not the l series engines. u can buy blanking plates off wingy for the l-series.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Made and fitted my own EGR blanks before I knew of the Wingy777 versions.

As far as bhp/torque is concerned there is little difference. Where you do gain though is the inlet manifold and plenum remain free of the black tarry stuff that coagulates there after a while, caused by the EGR function.

Chuck the EGR, blank the holes and give the post-turbo pipes and inlet manifold a good flushing with parrafin or similar. While you're at it, have the intercooler out and flush that too, it sees oil contamination from the crackcase breather system. let the whole lot dry and refit.

You should see a slight improvement if they were crudded up badly.

Hope this helps

Rik

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
What crankcase breather system???:naughty: :eek:mg2: :broon:
The hose out the back of the rocker cover that leads to the pipe from airbox to turbo inlet (that causes oil fumes to be sucked from engine block and burned).

Thought this was the breather system, do enlighten... :D

Rik

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Just thinking would there be anything negative to come from disconnecting this breather and say putting it into a water filter/catch tank and have something like a K&N breather filter venting it thus completely cleaning up the intake side of things???

Mark

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Cap'n ZS has done just that with no detrimental effect as yet. You would obviously need to plug the hole in the intake pipe too.

The only downer I can forsee to this is that the turbo may recieve a little less lubrication as the intake air will not have the oil mist present but I can't see as that should make much difference in reality...

Rik

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The way I see it, the only lubrication that the Turbo needs is to its bearings, and they are pressure fed by the oil supply. On our Paxman V16 engine, the turbos only get filtered air, the engine breathing doesn't go anywhere near the turbos.
Jim

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cap'n zs have you used a proper catch tank for this?? where abouts have you put it in the engine bay?? do you have any pics as i have thought about doing this ever since i bought the car.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Hi jim,

If you have any further hints/tips on this or even pictures of how you went about it eg are you filtering it through water etc or have you just put a breather filter eg k&N/Piper Cross onto the end of the disconnected hose and blanked the inlet off or a combination of the two like i mentioned in my prevoius 'just thinking' (which can be dangerous!) post?

Any info would be much appreciated as i'm much of the same mind as you that nothing else but good clean cold air should be going through the turbo,intercooler and inlet manifold should really help to clean things up and reduce maitaince/cleaning in the long run for the sake of maybe empty a tank or cleaning a filter.

Mark

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Cap'n zs have you used a proper catch tank for this?? where abouts have you put it in the engine bay?? do you have any pics as i have thought about doing this ever since i bought the car.
Hi jim,

If you have any further hints/tips on this or even pictures of how you went about it eg are you filtering it through water etc or have you just put a breather filter eg k&N/Piper Cross onto the end of the disconnected hose and blanked the inlet off or a combination of the two like i mentioned in my prevoius 'just thinking' (which can be dangerous!) post?

Any info would be much appreciated as i'm much of the same mind as you that nothing else but good clean cold air should be going through the turbo,intercooler and inlet manifold should really help to clean things up and reduce maitaince/cleaning in the long run for the sake of maybe empty a tank or cleaning a filter.

Mark
Hose would have to go to a tank of some on the bulkhead somewhere otherwise oil will end up all over the engine bay bulkhead. The L-Series produces a fair bit of oil mist from this pipe as the air pipes and intercooler will show.

Rik

·
Registered
mg_zr
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Krisy,

I think the EGR bypass mod that Wingy claims the 10+bhp increase is on ZTs and not the ZR/ZS models.

He does do a blanking plate for ZR/ZS engine but as far as i know there's been no bhp figures posted for what sort of gains you could expect.

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Thanks Phil that helps. ive seen blanking plated for the discovery 300 on ebay, was wondering maybe if these would fit the zr? or would i get the same effect from just disconnecting the black pipe from the top of the valve and blanking the hole?

thanks again.

krisy

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Hi Guys, I bought a catch tank of fleabay similar to the ones the 180 guys use, and just let it vent to atmosphere, but when you pull up at the lights and a slight wind is behind at night it looks like the engine is on fire in the headlights! Sooo much smokey air! It carn't be seen in the daytime. I'm trying to workout how to stop the smokey air without plumbing it back into the intake, as I want just clean air only in there. I'll post some pics when I get round to taking some, at the moment the catchtank is cable-tied to the brakepipes on the bulkhead next to my cruise pump, with the exit pipe going down behind the rack. Not an ideal set up, but it will do for now as its not finnished.
Maybe a filter on the end of the pipe might be the answer, I dunno!
Jim

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Possiably, but theres still the smoke aspect. I must say I'm a little concerned about it as all the other cars I've had that I made vent to atmosphere never produced any smoke. I hope my engine is ok....
Oh, what I did mean to add is with the breather disconnected, then engine doesn't smoke at all out the exhaust, where as before it did tend to pop a bit out when I caned it.
Jim

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Possiably, but theres still the smoke aspect. I must say I'm a little concerned about it as all the other cars I've had that I made vent to atmosphere never produced any smoke. I hope my engine is ok....
smoke coming from the crankcase breather system? never known of that, although if take the oil filler cap off my zs when it is warm i get abit of smoke, i guess that is the same thing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks Phil that helps. ive seen blanking plated for the discovery 300 on ebay, was wondering maybe if these would fit the zr? or would i get the same effect from just disconnecting the black pipe from the top of the valve and blanking the hole?

thanks again.

krisy
Hi Krisy, Sorry but i don't know if the blanking plate for the discovery 300 would fit but i'll be speaking to Wingy later on so i'll get some info off him and get back to you. He can still supply these plates for yours i think.
As far as i'm aware just plugging the black pipe will give the same effect but again i'll find out what extra advantages there are to fitting the plate on from Wingy later.

I'll update soon as poss.

Phil.

·
Registered
mg_zr
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Krisy, Sorry but i don't know if the blanking plate for the discovery 300 would fit but i'll be speaking to Wingy later on so i'll get some info off him and get back to you. He can still supply these plates for yours i think.
As far as i'm aware just plugging the black pipe will give the same effect but again i'll find out what extra advantages there are to fitting the plate on from Wingy later.

I'll update soon as poss.

Phil.
Thanks phil, i pm'd him the other day but he hasnt got back to me, im quessing his inbox is full or he hasnt been on lately. if you find out any info you can let me know. thanks again.

krisy

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Oh, what I did mean to add is with the breather disconnected, then engine doesn't smoke at all out the exhaust, where as before it did tend to pop a bit out when I caned it.
Jim
Have you tried a compression test? Might be getting a little bit of blow-by from somewhere when under load.

Rik

1 - 20 of 22 Posts