MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, i inherited a 96 rover 100 111i great little car until head gasket went,fixed that then it started intermittantly missing so i took it to the garage and they said it brought up a fault code of throttle pos switch, but they said it was prob the ecu, so i brought an ecu of ebay {as i,m rapidly getting skint} thinking they would swap straight over [obviously not] is there any cheats to match it to my car or have i got to get fleeced some more
:taz: ps im pretty sure its a fuel/air prob not ignition miss, pps if anyone has got any other ideas please let me know as the garage were not 100% on the ecu diagnosis

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
the ECUs are matched to the immobiliser ECU so it shouldnt even preasurise the plenum chamber. surpossedly you can switch ecus which have the same letters on.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Might be worth getting a new throttle position sensor first. It is on the throttle body / opposite to where the accelerator cable attaches. Only a ten minute job - and it might fix the problem.

After it has been fitted, you will probably need to do a reset - turn key to II, press throttle to floor 5 times, then start the car.

Failing that I'd look at the electics (leads, plugs distributor cap and rotor arm), and other sensors (CPS - Crank position sensor and temp sensor) before condeming the ECU.

If you don't understand what I've sed above, do a few searches on this site :)

Good luck. PS. If you are in cheshire, I will have a look!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replys guys, i think il prob try the throttle pos sensor as it does feel like a fuel/air prob and if you accelarate gently it seems ok, so the missing/hesitation might be unburnt fuel [and its prob the next cheapest thing to replace]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts