MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently fitted a k and n air filter to my rover, someone told me i need to reset the ecu??

this doesnt sound right to me??

do i need to?

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I can only think that if the K&N mod alters the airflow into the engine then potentially the ECU might benefit from being told. As I understand it from other postings on this forum the MG/Rover ECU is a clever wee beastie that senses the change in airflow and alters itself over the next few miles. Then again, I might just be vocalising via my anus!:D

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
The airfilter will not make the engine accept more air, each cylinder is a fixed volume... the only way to get more air in is to pressurise it (turbo).

It might help in allowing the engine to "breathe" less restrictively.

The MEMS ecu works on the principle of a fixed volume cylinder, the only thing effecting this is the inlet air temperature.... ie colder air is more dense.

The Inlet Air Temp. sensor plays a big part in correct fuelling.

There will be more oxygen available for combustion at lower temperatures thus more fuel can be added.

You might notice that the car performs better on colder days, this is why.

On the downside if you fit a K&N in a position where it is allowing hotter air from the engine bay in then it will probably cost you performance wise.

There are no ecu adjustments that can be made, simply try and get as cold an air feed as is possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts