MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a converted Rover 214 to a 1.8, I've still kept the 1.4 ECU with the MAP system disconnected to make it over fuel, I want to correct this as now it is pinking, I've been looking at new ECU's and have found converting it to MEMS 3 is too much work as it means changing looms and ignition and rocker cover etc, I'll get round to it but not yet.
Now down to my question, I need a 1.8 ECU which has the MAP sensor in the ECU, I've been shopping around and was wondering if the MGF 1.8 ECU would work (obviously using 5as) or would a land rover Freelander pre 99 ECU work and run it better than the 1.4 ECU.

Any help with my struggle is much appreciated, thank you very much!

Regards Ellis

P.S I will be installing the 1.8 flywheel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a standard 120 engine running a distributor, I am using the R65 gearbox, and thanks looks like I'm getting an MGF ECU then, this is going to be fun for someone with diagnostics, its gonna confuse me when I use the Snap-On verdict

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
3,848 Posts
Yea metro owners using r65 on a 1.8 conversion use a 216 bubble flywheel and 1.8 ecu 5as and fob.

When you say a 120 engine is its mems 3 from a ZR/ZS/TF or the earlier mems 2 from the 200/MGF?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bottom end is out of a 1.8 120 old MGF but it was fully reconditioned before fitment, regrind, new conrods, new pistons and liners new oil pump and oil filter housing. My guess is that it will be a mems 2, but hopefully the flywheel will work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.