MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
that is the stumpy bit from the original aerial with the aerial cut off and painted so it looks like just the stump. don't know if it picks up signals or not because it's not plugged into my head unit.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
ooo now this is interesting.....I was going to stick some vinyl on mine but mmmmmm I think I might just have to have a play with the paint I used on my gear surround....

·
Registered
mgf
847 Posts
Where's the rest of your ariel ? It's a bit stumpy isn't it ? Ours looks good but doesn't pick up any radio signals so we are on the look out for another one rather than putting the original fishing rod of an aerial back on....

Excellent How to MMM xx
Interesting you say about your ariel, I bought a short one and had no signal so returned to the fishing rod. Has anyone come up with a booster ariel??? like we used to have for TV signal ( Still have ) then I could use a short again. Do all lovers of the small ones compensate on signal loss for style?? I'd rather have the radio working good.:pram:

·
Registered
mg_tf
180 Posts
Interesting you say about your ariel, I bought a short one and had no signal so returned to the fishing rod. Has anyone come up with a booster ariel??? like we used to have for TV signal ( Still have ) then I could use a short again. Do all lovers of the small ones compensate on signal loss for style?? I'd rather have the radio working good.:pram:
never listen to radio anyway alway use my iphone but the signal is bad on small ones

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks!

Our TF was suffering from scruffy cap syndrome: the how to strip the cap was really useful: if I'd gone ahead on my own I reckon I'd have sheared all the plastic lugs off! I painted the Allen pins satin black: looks great. Just a note about refitting the pins: though you need to coax them out with an Allen key they push in fairly easily so don't risk damaging your new paint with an Allen key during reassembly. Test the fit and if tight ease the retaining clips slightly with a screwdriver to allow a nice push fit.

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
I am bumping this because I just tried to replace the cap with a chrome one. It took me something like an hour to remove the bolts - very frustrating. I can't for the life of me remove the key mechanism. I press the three pins one by one but whenever I press the third one another one pops back in place. Why on earth does it have to be so over-engineered? I still haven't managed to remove to key mechanism :(

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
I am bumping this because I just tried to replace the cap with a chrome one. It took me something like an hour to remove the bolts - very frustrating. I can't for the life of me remove the key mechanism. I press the three pins one by one but whenever I press the third one another one pops back in place. Why on earth does it have to be so over-engineered? I still haven't managed to remove to key mechanism :(
Anyone any hints? I can't seem to be able to do it! :S

·
Registered
mg_tf
366 Posts
All I can say is keep on trying. Have refurbed two cap surrounds with no real difficulty although holding 3 clips whilst pulling is an art.
Can you employ a shapely assistant?

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
I'll see what I can do :)
Total failure even with two of us. Is there something else going on? Does the key have to be turned to a certain position (Does it matter?). Will the plastic cup go "forward" and the remaining mechanism go "backwards" or is it one piece?

It may sound crazy but I don't see how this is a job for less than 3 people!!

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
I really don't know how come and this thread did not attract more "please help me do it" posts. Anyway I think the reason why I can't do it is because if the three *additional* protrusions that hold the whole thing in place. These protrusions are like the clips but they are NOT flexible. They are rock solid :yikes:

I am confused.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I found that using a large flat screwdriver, using the lugs where the bolts go through, twisting slightly and literally forcing it out did the trick.

I polished two and painted two and all were difficult to some extent but definitely do able.

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
I found that using a large flat screwdriver, using the lugs where the bolts go through, twisting slightly and literally forcing it out did the trick.

I polished two and painted two and all were difficult to some extent but definitely do able.
Did yours have three or six clips? As I just found out the six clips is it the MK2 version. I don't want to go to bed before I sort this out! :) Not to mention that the car is parked on the street with a small towel where the fuel cap usually is :yikes:

·
Registered
mg_tf
463 Posts
1998 Mgf.

Your only other option is carefully rub down and paint it with the insert in place.
I bought a replacement cap (chrome triple-plated) that I want to swap. I don't want to return it and at £50 a pop I don't want to just store it either. It looks good and I would like to use it. If everything else fails, I will cut the solid clips with a knife or something similar.

From searching the forum I got the impression that some people did it somehow and they managed to un-clip all six clips. There is no mention though how they did it. So I am waiting for someone to reveal himself and spread the wisdom :)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts