MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At long last, I got round to tidying up the scruffy filler cap surround on Pingu. I thought it would be quite tricky, but inspired by how quickly the MGF Centre changed the surround on Misty's cap (which I didnt even see as I was drinking my coffee in the showroom!), I thought I'd try and work it out for myself. It is in fact dead easy!

First, get the filler cap. (Silly me, in all my excitement, I didn't take a pic before I took the cap off Pingu!)

Now, using the correct size allen key, pull the grub screws out. There is no thread, so just bending the allen key slightly as you pull will ensure that the key grips the screws. Clean the screws up for later refitting (I used autoglym metal polish). Here are the screws before cleaning

Get a flat head screwdriver or similar and gently (working round) prise the black plastic part from the metal surround as per the pic below:

What you'll end up with is this:

Note that the centre locking mechanism is still attached to the surround

Now, using the screwdriver again or something wooden like an ice lolly stick (eat ice lolly first ;)), push the tabs inwards as indicated by the red arrows in the pic below:

This will release the centre part and leave your scruffy surround as so:

Now you can put the centre part back on your car. Although it looks odd, its a perfectly good seal and will stop anything getting into your tank while you work on the surround. It's quite safe to drive!

Clean the metal surround and black plastic backing.
Now rub the surround with wet or dry paper or similar to get a smooth finish ready to prime. Ensure it's properly dry before you give it a couple of coats of metal primer (grey is best for the finish colour). It is recommended that you leave it for 24 hours before you put spray it with the final colour (although I put mine in a cupboard that houses the boiler so it was ready sooner).

If there are any blemishes or if it's uneven, gently rub down with fine wet or dry paper and spray primer again if necessary to cover any bare metal.

When the primer is properly dry and prepared, spray your final colour (I used 'aluminium'). Two to three coats should give good coverage. Allow to dry properly (ideally 24 hours, but less is usually fine) and spray with two or three coats of lacquer (I used gloss lacquer). Allow to dry thoroughly, overnight is fine. Then take the centre locking piece off the car and refit...note that the spacing of the lugs only allows fitting in one way

Refit the black plastic backing to the main unit, again ensuring you line the lugs up correctly.....tip: look at the deeper recesses in the metal surround. These line up with the longer stems on the black of the plastic backing.

Refit the grub screws by simply pushing them firmly into each hole (some need a little wriggle). These secure the metal surround to the rest of the unit.......... and 'Bob's your Uncle', one filler cap that looks brand new :)

And here it is back on Pingu:

There are two slightly different versions and the thread below may also help with dismantling the Mk2 version:
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=383345&highlight=cap

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Looks great! I did mine a while ago, got a bit sandpaper happy and realised that there was shiny metal under the black basecoat - so I took it right back to that, polished it up and then lacquered it!!
You can also do the central bit body coloured - a 1p coin fits perfectly over the lock bit for masking purposes.

·
Registered
mg_tf
2,364 Posts
any one got the part number for the surround it may work out cheaper to buy that than all the aerosols needed to do the job ie primer ,paint, laquer

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
any one got the part number for the surround it may work out cheaper to buy that than all the aerosols needed to do the job ie primer ,paint, laquer

£65.00 + vat from EMG (Rover dealer), thats for the surround NOT the whole filler cap!!! Have Rover parts been taken over by Harrods or something? Everything you buy from them is through the roof on prices.

·
Registered
10,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As per the post by zipimini, the aerosol option is much cheaper!
I had all the cans anyway from previous jobs, so in a sense it cost me nothing to do ;)

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Great How To Mike - pity its about a year too late for me! :lol:

Looks like yours came apart easier than mine did too, it was a real pig of a fiddle with mine :(

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
so you could have done a how to a year ago then :twak: :shake:
I could've... but mine was completed over several days with a few choice words in between and even then I wasn't actually sure if I had done it properly or if the cap just gave up and came to pieces of its own accord rather than endure any more of my treatment :sad2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have the opposite. i remember doing mine thinking why the **** they used fake allen key shaped clips instead of grub screws

Where's the rest of your ariel ? It's a bit stumpy isn't it ? Ours looks good but doesn't pick up any radio signals so we are on the look out for another one rather than putting the original fishing rod of an aerial back on....

Excellent How to MMM xx

1 - 20 of 47 Posts