MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm in Canada and looking to import a 1992-1989 Rover Mini from Japan. Either a 1000 or 1275 version. I'd like to know how they are at say 120km/h or 70mph - ie how many rpms they are doing with the 4spd manual. What is a reasonable cruising speed. Obviously the 1275 has more power but is the 1000 livable.

And how about the fuel injection - any good? Or better to stick to the carb'd cars. Thanks all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
a good tuned 998 can happily keep up with a 1275

i drove my 1.3i auto mini at 70 mph no problem! however the fuel gauge didnt like it :lol: you could literally watch it drop!

fuel injection is ok, i must admit mine seemed a bit dead on power, i dont know why! carbs are ok too just preferance really

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Fuel injection will give you better economy and will be ECU driven, so mappable, but carbs will have more grunt down low and easier mechanical tuning available.
Down to choice really.
Mini's are a real laugh to drive, so whichever you decided on you'll be smiling all the way :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Fuel injection will give you better economy and will be ECU driven, so mappable, but carbs will have more grunt down low and easier mechanical tuning available.
Down to choice really.
Mini's are a real laugh to drive, so whichever you decided on you'll be smiling all the way :)
Mini's ECU's were never mappable as the used the ROver M.E.M.S system, the same as the Rover metro's and 211's etc etc.
If i had to choose between an injected and a carb, it definately be carb. At least you have a chance of fixing them with a bag of spanners at the road side. If the injection system plays up, you can't really do anything without the correct electronic gear. Also, injected Mini's are renoun for being a pain in the ass to diagnose and fix, true, they are slightly better on fuel, but who cares?! It's a Mini! As sportspack said though, don't expect the fuel guage to stay in one place for long! Even the 998cc engines guzzle fuel, and it's only a little fuel tank in the boot!
Overall though, an excellent little car, but not something i would choose to do motorway miles in in this day and age. If you get wiped out in a Mini there is very little chance you will tell the tale to your grand children!
It sounds like you have never driven a Mini. Have you? I would recommend you do before committing to importing one as they are an aquired taste, and although i thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving mine, it's not to everyones tastes!

At 70 MPH iirc it does about 4,000 rpm. They actually sound like they don't like those kinds of speeds, but in fact it's ok, they don't mind. As

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope never driven a Mini. Owned some other classics like Spitfire, Scimitar, Rx-7, etc so I'm sure it would be ok. There is one for sale locally I could probably bum a test drive in (not buying as he wants massive money for it).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Our 998cc mayfair with 1986 running gear runs at about 3500rpm at 70mph, which is less than a work mates 1litre SEAT Alto(? same as VW Lupo) in fifth gear. Mind you, it'll struggle to maintain 70mph uphill but will go off the speedo coming downhill!!! Top fun, I dont reckon you can have more fun at legal speeds! Oh, and the carb 998 will do 50-60 mpg, my 1995 single point injection 1275 mini sprite did ~35-40mpg. Non of my minis were great on the motorway although my carb cooper with a metro engine and 3.4 final drive was quite nippy but pulling 4000rpm at 70mph IIRC.

·
Registered
507 Posts
After owning a fare few Mini's over the years... personally I'd go for an injection model over a carb. My Spi and Mpi have been so much more reliable than any of the carb's ever were.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
They were originally known as the Austin 7 and the Morris Mini Minor and then the Austin Mini from 1962. Production was always at Longbridge (1959 to 2000) and at Cowley from 1959 to 1969.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Hello all!

I'm in Canada and looking to import a 1992-1989 Rover Mini from Japan. Either a 1000 or 1275 version. I'd like to know how they are at say 120km/h or 70mph - ie how many rpms they are doing with the 4spd manual. What is a reasonable cruising speed. Obviously the 1275 has more power but is the 1000 livable.

And how about the fuel injection - any good? Or better to stick to the carb'd cars. Thanks all.
Love the old Minis, great little cars...... personally I'd go for the 1275 carb, and stick twin carbs on it..... watch out for the gearbox on the 1275 tho, they have a tendancy to get shredded! 70mph is a ok cruising speed, at 4000 Rpm. I read somewhere (can't remember where) about 5 speed custom boxes for them, a 5 speed box with twin carbs would be great!

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Ah, the old Jack Knight 'dog box.

Along with the twin cam head they were about the most expensive mods you could make in the early '90s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i got pulled over a few years ago on the m40 for driving at 100mph+ in my old mini...the policeman just laughed after he'd popped the bonnet :naughty: it helped that i was having a good hair day..lol...

my mk1 had a full race engine in it, straightcut box, wicked head...the most lovely little car...my 1380 minivan was a blast...by the time i'd chopped the cones down it looked fab.

great wee car...ahh..nostalgia trip in full force :)

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Planning on building one up for my Son so he has something when he passes his test.
No rush though.
Got 16 years yet.
:lol:
Want to run a 1400 16V K series in it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts