MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing dynamat this weekend, any tips?

I have bought a dynamat extreme door kit and plan to install it this weekend. Any tips, recommendations for a proper installation?

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Off topic...

That just goes to show what a great site this is. Someone from Istanbul seeking help, and someone from Bremen providing it! On a uk site! :friday:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Herbie, already know that link from Dieter's site. His site is on my regular visit list together with Rob Bell's site. I just wanted to hear any further recommendations from our gurus.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off topic...

That just goes to show what a great site this is. Someone from Istanbul seeking help, and someone from Bremen providing it! On a uk site! :friday:
MG is the marque of friendship which 100% true and universal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's where I always put it as that's the part which has most flex! The inner skin is much more rigid anyhow - take the door card off and give the inner skin a push, it won't move, now do the same to the outer skin - it will probably dent the door as it flex's (DISCLAIMER: This was never meant to be done, just a demonstration. If any doors are injured I accept no responsibility!!!)

·
Registered
mgf
622 Posts
You'll want to use it on the outer skin of the door to make it a "heavier" sheet of metal in order to give is a lower resonance frequency hopefully outside the audio bandwidth.

BUT you'll also want to use it on the metal under the doorcards. This is full of holes for servicing i.e. the electric windows making it useless as a speaker chamber. Close as many holes as possible. You should close the bigger holes with i.e. alu strips rivetted as bridges over the holes on which you can stick the dynamat to make the big coverings stiffer.

You will notice the difference but it will make the car heavier ;) Goodluck !

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll want to use it on the outer skin of the door to make it a "heavier" sheet of metal in order to give is a lower resonance frequency hopefully outside the audio bandwidth.

BUT you'll also want to use it on the metal under the doorcards. This is full of holes for servicing i.e. the electric windows making it useless as a speaker chamber. Close as many holes as possible. You should close the bigger holes with i.e. alu strips rivetted as bridges over the holes on which you can stick the dynamat to make the big coverings stiffer.

You will notice the difference but it will make the car heavier ;) Goodluck !
Thanks for the advice, but i think i am going to leave those holes as is just for servicing, i think if i cover the areas near them, it will be good enough. In addition to sound improvement i am after door which dont clunk, less road noise and less noise from the window mechanism. I have bought dynamat extreme stuff which is lighter than original dynamat and does not require heating before installing. So hopefully door wont be that heavy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts