MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i would first of all like to start of by saying that this is an amazing forum with alot of very helpful people on board and the 1 or 2 comedians ;)
basically i just bought a 214i on an M reg, but the standard sterio is worse than terrible and the speakers arnt worth mentioning! lol,
i now have a new head unit to go in but need differant connectors, but i want to replace the speakers most likley just in the front as i read that theres no point in back ones?? and just put an amp and sub in. im not wanting to spend alot on the setup but i dont know what size the speakers are to replace into the original slots if possible. i want good sound that will obviously go loud withought distorting, if any one has any ideas or suggestion then it would be much appreciated!
And btw, my names Martyn ;)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
hello Jack,

if you want loud sound without distortions, you'll need to amp the front speakers too.
someone else will tell you the size of your speakers if they're not already bored of doing so in 80% of the threads here.

you'll need components for the front, a 4 channel amp, a sub with its box and an amp wiring kit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh right, im new to all this sound stuff. sorry if this has been posted alot...
thanks for the reply jack.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hiya and welcome.Cant help with your sounds,as i always get mine sorted by someone else.Someone will be along to help you out, though,not everyone gets "bored" with helping people out.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
not everyone gets "bored" with helping people out.
I certainly never do Jack :D

Martyn, for your speakers size, the best way to avoid a bad surprise is to remove one of them and go to a shop to get ones of the same size.
also in my car, there's the speakers size written on the plastic rim on which the speakers are mounted, so you could check yours.

do you have any more questions ? :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea, im sure tht should sort everything!!! if i need anything els i'll be sure to let you know, thanks very much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, i now have my sterio but i really need the speakers changed lol, the back ones sizzle ans the front ones distort.. i figured out the size is 6.5", but im not so good with audio, my budget is no more than £60 for speakers because from what i have been reading i will need an amp as well... if any one can recomend good speakers for loudness with good bass feel free, because i dont have the money for a sub yet.. lol,
thanks guys

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
dont bother with the rears, disconnect them.

so whats your budget for speakers/amp/wiring altogether.

to get the best out of them you will need some soundproofing too - but we can worry about that later ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, ye i think your right about taking the backs out, they r near usless.
i would say about £120 just now, i know thts near impossible to get anything half decent. what do you suggest?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
do you mind using ebay for second hand bits? Have a look on the talkaudio forums too - often bits coming up on there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im guessing from your question that my budget is just to low.. lol
im looking on ebay just now but i prefer brand new if possible, can you advise me at least what sorta power of amp and maybe sub would be good? i dont really know what im looking for, are the combined units any good? (sub and amp in one) thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guys i was in halfords today talkin to e dude about speakers and he said i need to get coaxial because i dont have the correct fitment... the components i wanted had seperate tweeters, so is the dude correct or can i still get components all in one becaise im rubbish at diy..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thts wat i thought..
i dnt wanna have to make new fittings etc, just want the ones i have replaced!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i dnt wanna have to make new fittings etc, just want the ones i have replaced!
You currently have coaxials by the sound of it, and if you don't want to do anything except take them out and slot in some replacements, then the guy at halfords was right - you want a replacement set of coaxials.

Sure, components can be fitted, but that will require extra fitment - they won't just slot in to an existing hole, because there's no separate tweeter at the moment - they'll require cutting holes in your door card or something, depending on how far you want to go).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh rite, *******s.
are the coaxals not rubbish? i dont suppose it would be hard or take long to make some holes in the door card would it? i mean for all the size of emm! well i guess thats what im gonnae have to do then..

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
are the coaxals not rubbish?
Nope - just like components, they have their uses.. and unlike what others might have you believe, that isn't just in the parcel shelf ;) Their significant advantage is that they offer a single point source, and phase coherance - the former is impossible to achieve with comps, and the latter isn't exactly straightforward.

The reason people "in the know" usually go for components over coaxials is because they're not willing to go to the lengths required to install coaxials at their optimum, and that is what's required in order to make them sound better than comps.

Look at it like this:

Ideal: Single point source and optimised path lengths. i.e coaxials as far and wide away from you as possible - deep, deep in the kicks, most likely involving venting to the outside for extra width and depth. This can however cause problems with obstructions (feet/legs)

Less than ideal: Multiple point sources and optimised path lengths for the mids. Tweets can be installed wherever they sound best, so you get to gloss over the obstructions one, but you get non-symmetry issues such as the instrument binacle.

Even less than less than ideal: Mids in doors (poor path lengths), tweets in the kicks/a-pillars. Stage width/depth will suffer, there's multiple point sources and almost certainly phase incoherance.. but it's easy to install, so this is what most people go for.

Worst: Coaxials in the door - lack of angling on tweets, which are firing across the car below your knees. It will almost always sound like the speakers are down low .. which they are. In all 3 of the above approaches, different tricks can/are being used to get decent stage height.

i dont suppose it would be hard or take long to make some holes in the door card would it? i mean for all the size of emm! well i guess thats what im gonnae have to do then..
Why not have a go at DIY'ing some a-pillar builds? It really isn't hard, even for a DIY novice - I know where there's a cracking tutorial ;) Failing that, just go get a drill (if you don't already have one) and a hole cutter that's the right diameter for the tweeter of your choice. Mark the centre point where you want the tweet mounted on the doorcard, remove the doorcard and double check clearance, then cut that hole with the hole cutter. Drop the tweet in and hot glue it in place. Job done :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts