MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there kinda new to this first ever post in fact right then with that out the way is it possible to fit a dump valve to my 220 sdi turbo {bubble shape} and also can you fit a induction kit to them any help would be greatly recieved thanks muchly craig.
p.s this might seem like a stupid question but this is may first ever diesel

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Smith13 said:
hi there kinda new to this first ever post in fact right then with that out the way is it possible to fit a dump valve to my 220 sdi turbo {bubble shape} and also can you fit a induction kit to them any help would be greatly recieved thanks muchly craig.
p.s this might seem like a stupid question but this is may first ever diesel
Welcome to the world of diesel driving.

Best way to fit a dump valve is, to tape record your voice doing the same sound, and play it each time you change gear :haha:

They have no use on a turbo diesel, only if you want to loose all kind of performance.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes you can fit a dump valve to a diesel. But no it won't make any performance difference at all to the car.

Yes you can also fit an induction kit. But it will make it a LOT louder and it won't make a huge difference. Most people recommend a panel filter to fit in the place of the standard paper one. Standard paper ones are pretty good though so long as you change them about every 12k.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
I think this is one of those cases where non diesel types are giving dodgy info to newbies.

As I understand diesels rely on the back pressure created by the turbo so a waste gate / dump valve bleeding this off is counterproductive.

Given the temperamental nature of the dreaded maf sensors coating them with oil or dirt via an exposed induction kit is also a no no.

If new to diesel listen to the gurus and forget the crap fed to you by the f&f types and the kiddie mags - lackx power etc.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I think you may be right.

However diesels don't need any back pressure (unlike petrol engines). Diesel engines differ as they don't have a throttle butterfly in the inlet tract (in general), and so a dump valve is not needed. (when the throttle is closed in a petrol engine the turbo still tries to pump air so the turbo slows or stalls unless the pressure is released via a dump valve).

·
Registered
66 Posts
E_T_V said:
I think you may be right.

However diesels don't need any back pressure (unlike petrol engines). Diesel engines differ as they don't have a throttle butterfly in the inlet tract (in general), and so a dump valve is not needed. (when the throttle is closed in a petrol engine the turbo still tries to pump air so the turbo slows or stalls unless the pressure is released via a dump valve).
Spot on… although it’s useless you can install one but you need a solenoid to open it. A friend has one on his 306 diesel, when he closes the throttle a switch activates a solenoid on the dump value and. . . you know the rest.

If your desperate to scare pedestrians your best option, courtesy of a post I read by ‘Rover Ron’ is to turn the EGR value around so it is attached to the exhaust end of the system, blank off the inlet side leaving the valve open the atmosphere (sorry that makes it about as clear as mud) apparently works treat. . .

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts