MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MG TF 1.6i 115 (2004)
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have installed the dual USB socket to replace a rusty cigarette light socket. I bought it comes with 10a fuse and bits. It worked but the illuminating blue is on permanently! I am not keen as it may be draining battery! I like to connect the positive cable to ‘radio on’ or key switch 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
338 Posts
Hi

I have installed the dual USB socket to replace a rusty cigarette light socket. I bought it comes with 10a fuse and bits. It worked but the illuminating blue is on permanently! I am not keen as it may be draining battery! I like to connect the positive cable to ‘radio on’ or key switch 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Get down on your hands and knees and with a meter, probe for a positive feed in the fuse-box and you will find what you want. i did the same years ago for the dash cam .
 

·
In the Garage
MG TF
Joined
·
32,896 Posts
I doubt the blue LED will drain the battery unless you don't use the car for a while, however as said the best place to pick up switched live is the dashboard fuse box but just be careful how much load you are putting on the circuit that you are tapping into.
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
117 Posts
I fitted a dual usb socket in place of the lighter also. I didn't bother with the switched live mainly becase I preferred to have the USB live even wgen the ignition was off, so the LED is on permanently. However, I only use my TF in the summer months so sits in the garage for most of the year hooked up to a battery conditioner, although having forgotten to hook up the battery conditioner for about 2 weeks recently, it started without a problem. As above, the LED consumes very little current, typically milliamps, and so wouldn't have much impact on a car battery.
 

·
Registered
MG TF
Joined
·
498 Posts
I fitted the same and took the live from the radio.

Sent from my motorola one macro using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
MG TF 1.6i 115 (2004)
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fitted a dual usb socket in place of the lighter also. I didn't bother with the switched live mainly becase I preferred to have the USB live even wgen the ignition was off, so the LED is on permanently. However, I only use my TF in the summer months so sits in the garage for most of the year hooked up to a battery conditioner, although having forgotten to hook up the battery conditioner for about 2 weeks recently, it started without a problem. As above, the LED consumes very little current, typically milliamps, and so wouldn't have much impact on a car battery.
thanks Luke. I would have thought so as I am not great at electrical stuff. I understand the basic electric so I want to educate myself with bit more knowledge!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top