MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else been like this over the past couple of days??

u know when its been sunny and the roads are like glue..... then it rains and eveyrthing becomes mega greasy...and u feel the back step out a lot more.

well, last couple fo days has been nothing but non-stop hard rain, drains overflowing, puddles merging in middle of lanes,but levels of grip seem to be just as good as when it hard sun. i thought my grip levels would haev been alike to greasy roads,but grip was much better.

anyone else pick up on this? or am i alone?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I did today Deano. I put it down to the greasey stuff having been washed away. It tends to be really slipy with the light rain after a dry spell when it lifts the oild and rubber off the surface but the heavy rain then washes it away

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,181 Posts
I think this is quite normal, in fact my Midget always seemed to have better road holding in the rain then it did in the dry. But you still need to alter your driving style in these conditions.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't get over confident in those conditions, I'm sure you know Deano that it takes nothing to upset the rear ;)

absolutely, and if steve marsh is reading, i never got out of 2nd gear. ;)
I did today Deano. I put it down to the greasey stuff having been washed away. It tends to be really slipy with the light rain after a dry spell when it lifts the oild and rubber off the surface but the heavy rain then washes it away
thats pretty much what i was thinking, just wondered if it was placebo effect or if it actually occurred.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Yesterday, very hard rain.... was surprised by it but couldn't be arsed to close my roof :lol:

Upps sorry, my post was off Topic :O
The first raindrops make the road very greasy, always be careful in the wet.

I only know a local phrase:
"Strasse nass - Fuß vom Gas, Strasse trocken - rauf den Socken"
kind of: 'Road wet - foot away from accelerator, Road dry - push the sock' or so ;)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Driving back from the Basingstoke meet thisafternoon was nightmarish on the M3.

I wasn't so much bothered about driving in the conditions, it was more about the nutters who were hammering down the M3 at 100 driving up peoples backsides with little lighting on, in very very heavy spray.

Also, the tramlines caused by lorries were holding the water like two little rivers, causing havoc.

I went down Hood down in medium ish rain but went hood up on the way back rather steamed up!!

Neil Sutton got struck by lightning today (well the umbrella he was holding did) scrared the crap out of us. Glad you're ok Neil :broon:

Gosh its cats and dogs again here in sunny fleet.

Iain

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
the rains been quite bad here in london at times aswell, and due to all of the sodding buses, the roads are (in places) still quite bad.

steve (stepdad) had the back of the jag step out of line on a roundabout a couple of days back (and hes sensible) and me in my 400, well, i usually end up spinning the wheels quite often.

so yeah. ive toned my driving down due to it. cant rip it along a NSL road i take to work at the moment. im a, not stupid enough to (saw a golf nearly loose it the other day) and b not ballsy enough to either. so aye, until things are sunny hot and dry, im keeping myself slow.

i hate buses. ******* diesel :mad:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,181 Posts
I did have a heart stopper this afternoon, there was so much standing water that I aquaplaned in a corner.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am gald your OK Deano and Chris T. Surpirsed to here the Jag wiggled. Does it not have traction control?

Got ****** off coming to work this morning with all the prats who were going too slow. Just cause it is wet there is no need to do 25 mph on a dual carraigeway. I moaned about it and one of the girls said she went so slow because of the guy behind who was tailgating and she was afraid he wouldn't stop and hit her. She wouldn't accept that he was tailgating because she was doing 25 mph in the outside lane. I agree that excessive speed and low lighting in heavy rain is irresponsible but too slow and with rear fog lights on is just as bad. Make due and proper progress and leave more than the 2 second gap. I mentioned the "if you can't drvie it, park it!" from the advert and have to get my own coffee now.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Shame no one told this guy how to drive in these conditions!

I was out in a BMW 323 at the weekend (the 2.5 straight six jobbie) and was suprised at how much difference the TCS and electronic suspension made to the way it handled these conditions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts