MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have lowered my zr 160 20mm using gmax springs but keeping the original zr dampaers - i had a look under the car yesterday and found there was transmision fluid all over the bottom of the gear box so not a happy bunny.

The oil is leaking out of the driveshaft oil seals so i am replacing these as we speak - my question is; Does any one know of any problems such as this related specifically to lowering the car. Or maybe did i just disturb the shafts when i did the suspension work (more than possible to be honest). It has been lowered for two months or more nowand until this week i have not noticed any problems....

Thanks for you help

Dave

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
It is probably just a co-incidence. Just double check before you remove the shafts that they are sat correctly in the box, as as you say you may have disturbed them when fitting the suspension. The inner CV joints simply pop into and out of the box and are located by just a circlip, so it is possible to pop them out accidentally when working on the suspension.

Just make sure that the new seals are seated correctly and that the oil level is where it should be as lack of oil in these boxes tends to kill the bearings.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I would say you damaged the seals tugging to get the suspension off as it can take some jiggling to get off. Either that or you displaced the shafts slightly in the process and have caused the seals to leak over time..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts