MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the nut on the end of the drive shaft for a r_45?Is it 30mm?Im replacing my wheel bearings (front) at the weekend and need to get all the tools ready.My sockets only go up to 27mm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i just upgraded my brakes front a solid set up to vented on my rover 200. Drive shaft nut was a 32mm. Make sure you replace the nut with a fresh one.Haydn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why do you need to replace the nut?do they die a death getting them off?im not sure if you get new nuts with the bearing set?how hard was it to crack the drive shaft nut off????

·
Registered
76 Posts
They need replacing because the centre is punched into a groove in the end of the shaft to prevent it from coming loose. You have to tap out this indent before it can be loosend. Mine came out fairly easily, I just put the car in top gear, jammed the brakes on hard and used a long breaker bar. The torque rating onthe nut is 185Nm (137lbf ft), hence the use of a long breaker bar!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
If you are removing both hub nuts and have not got any replacements - if the bashed in bit does not line up properly swap the nuts side to side and try again. Hopefully you should end up with a fresh bit to bash.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,907 Posts
lates said:
If you are removing both hub nuts and have not got any replacements - if the bashed in bit does not line up properly swap the nuts side to side and try again. Hopefully you should end up with a fresh bit to bash.
Been there done that - swap the nuts over to the other shafts - works well when new nuts are not immediately available.

It's almost uncanny how when reusing the nuts on the same axle, that same 'bashed' bit invariably lines up again on the slot at the correct torque!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts