MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I borrowed my dads car today it is a 1995 214 sei,when i pulled off it was like it was wheel spinning then i would back the revs off and pull ooo then it would be ok,
It did this for about 5 times then just went completely,
The engine runs ok but if you put it into gear and release the clutch nothing happens at all
There has been no smell of clutch or crunching gears

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh right

Cheers for that mate

Is it a gargae job or something you could do at home

Andy
Its a job that could be done at home but its not for the faint hearted.

Basically the gearbox has to come off the engine and that includes the bell housing that bolts to the engine. To get this off you will need to release the drive shafts and drain the oil from the box and diff. You would also have to support the engine as well as there are three mounts holding it all in, one on the camshaft end, one on the box and one underneath by the gearbox rods... its a mucky job and probably easier with the whole unit out (i.e. engine and box) fortunately I did mine when I swapped the engine.. You'll also need the use of a locating tool to centralise the new clutch plate other wise you'll never join the box and engine together again..!!! Lots more involved but it'll give you some idea....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont think i could manage that,seems a lot involved for me as ive never done anything like that before

Thanks very much for the detailed info

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts