MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to the Forum and would appreciate any thoughts on a problem with my 30,000 mile 2004 ZT 190 SE (face lift).

I have recently noticed what feels like slack in the drive line with power coming in with a jolt particularly when on and off the power in low gears. Drive shaft, UJs ? Is this a known problem?

Many thanks.

Snowball

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Drive Shaft/ UJ's

Don't think I have heard of anyone replacing a driveshaft or UJ's yet and doubt it is this at only 30,000 miles.
Am sure someone will be along with an idea for you.
Assume you have checked wheel bolts are tight, sounds obvious but it has happened, & recently too !

·
Registered
mg_zt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

Car recently serviced so checked wheel bolts. All ok. Looks like I will have to book it in again but was hoping to avoid a big bill. Just gone out of warranty!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hi

I am new to the Forum and would appreciate any thoughts on a problem with my 30,000 mile 2004 ZT 190 SE (face lift).

I have recently noticed what feels like slack in the drive line with power coming in with a jolt particularly when on and off the power in low gears. Drive shaft, UJs ? Is this a known problem?

Many thanks.

Snowball
had similiar problem, gearbox mounting rubber split, check this 1st Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
the slack or knock felt when accelerating/de-accelerating is the lower rear engine mount/snubber that bolts between the engine and sub-frame,the rubber bush normally splits or breaks up causing the engine to swing back and forth.the mount costs about £35.00 and takes about half hour to fit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the slack or knock felt when accelerating/de-accelerating is the lower rear engine mount/snubber that bolts between the engine and sub-frame,the rubber bush normally splits or breaks up causing the engine to swing back and forth.the mount costs about £35.00 and takes about half hour to fit.

This is making me think I have the same problem. I have just dismissed it up until now, as its due its major service in 2k miles acording to the haynes manual. Is it ok to leave it till then and get it all done at once? Will need to get it over the pit in the next few days, assuming its easy to spot? If so how easy would it be to change?

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Yep, that's *probably* what's causing it.

·
Registered
mg_zt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help.

Garage replaced gear box stabiliser arm which has solved the problem.

Regards.

Snowball

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Wonderful news! Thanks for reporting back.

Quite a low mileage for this to fail - do you do a lot of stop/start driving?

·
Registered
mg_zt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, four miles and fourteen sets of traffic lights each way to work every day plus numerous speed humps which probably does not help. However my 75 with twice the mileage coped for four years with no problem, softer suspension I suppose.

Thanks again.

Snowball

1 - 13 of 13 Posts