MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

wonder if anyone can help. My 1998 420TD makes a knock when you decelerate (take foot off accelerator) The sound seems to be coming from the drivers side somewhere? Its just a single clunk (more of a clunk than a knock) when you take your foot of the pedal. It doesn't make that noise when you accelerate. I wonder if it is the drive shaft, if there is anything i can check to see if that is the cause or if anyone else has any other ideas?

Coll

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm 'investigating' something similar on my 05 ZS180. I get a clunk when accelerating and a less prominent one when decelerating. Following some pointers from others on the forum I'm looking in to the problem.

Mine seems to revolve (no pun intended) around the passenger side drive shaft / hub assembly and gearbox play. I'm not sure what has started this vicious little cycle of wear and tear, but after changing the passenger side wheel bearing, to good effect initially, the passenger side wheel is again showing signs of top-to-bottom play in the wheel / hub / bearing. I'm also finding some play in the outer cv joint of the drive shaft and where the drive shaft connects to the hub via the splined shaft. It's a little extreme (not to mention expensive) but I'll be changing the gearbox, driveshaft and hub carrier assembly (well at least I think this is what it's called) to see if this will get rid of the clunking symptoms.

I appreciate the above is of little help to you, but I'll post findings after changing the bits.............which would have been covered by MG warranty!:irked:

Ah, the joys of motoring. :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found It

Found it! It was the Upper Engine mount that was making a clunking noise - as the car decelerated the mount clunked. A quick tighten up of the bracket and no more annoying noises! Sweet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts