MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wonder if anybody can help, I have a Diesel 2.0cdt conn se V reg, just noticed a small amount of fliud has dripped on to the back plate behind the clutch pedal, saw it when I was hoovering the drivers side carpet, wiped it off , then a little while later saw some more, so obviously something is leaking.

I had a look around that area after taking of the pedal cover but cannot see where it is coming from.

car is behaving normally, any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Is it oil or water.?if water,most likely is from A/C,nothing much to worry,If it is OIL...........better take note the colour & post here ASAP.!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not Water, it is just a few drops looks light brown in colour, not a heavy consistancy like oil would be.

any ideas anybody what it could be. I will take it in to my local ex rover garage who are good but it might save some time if I can point them in the right direction, and as we all know time is money with a garage!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned it up a while ago. just had to drive an hours trip on motorway and A roads, checked agin and no drip !!!

would this still be cylinder or should it leak all the time !!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Major development!! drove away from shop then clutch went staright to the floor and stayed there.

AA came out said it looks like Slave cylinder has been leaking, so car is now parked up on garge forecourt for them to look at it.

does this diagnosis seem right and if so what sort of cost am I looking at.

It is still under an extended warranty so do you think they will pay towards the cost.

·
Registered
261 Posts
From where you said you ahve found leakage that is the master cylinder - hopefully its this one as its the cheapest option...

Edit: As already suggested!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Master Cylinder

From where you said you ahve found leakage that is the master cylinder - hopefully its this one as its the cheapest option...

Edit: As already suggested!
Yes agree. What I have seen suggested though is that the slave cylinder often fails soon after the master is replaced.
That is a gearbox out job at which point it is probably wise to replace the clutch plate & pressure plate. (fluid drips from bell housing if slave goes) Fluid from slave will often foul the clutch plate making replacement essential.
Mention above as you mention it is under warranty. If they have to replace slave and claim clutch plate is ok I would pay myself and have the clutch plate and pressure plate replaced at the same time. Labour cost would be the same for them.
I think clutch & pressure plate are about £99, not sure. Oh yes, make sure clutch plate is the one with springs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The MASTER cyllinder isn't under there, so ignore that, as said by Crofts it's your slave cylinder thats gone, replaced mine about 3 months back (easy diy) with the same symtoms.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
The MASTER cyllinder isn't under there, so ignore that, as said by Crofts it's your slave cylinder thats gone, replaced mine about 3 months back (easy diy) with the same symtoms.
You've got them mixed up Nat - the master cylinder is at the pedal end and the slave is the tricky one inside the bellhousing of the gearbox. The master (the one that leaked in this case) is the easy one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my appologise, now I feel realy dumb! Sorry, your right ofcourse, the MASTER in above the clutch pedal and is the one I reaplced, and is whats faulty in this case ~embaressed~

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to up date, it was the Clutch Slave cylinder, so big job, they checked the master and clutch plate and said these were both fine, ex rover dealer total price £480. warranty company paid half as they said they deduct for wear and tear as car has done 105K

so I suppose not too bad in the end

·
Registered
806 Posts
just to up date, it was the Clutch Slave cylinder, so big job, they checked the master and clutch plate and said these were both fine, ex rover dealer total price £480. warranty company paid half as they said they deduct for wear and tear as car has done 105K

so I suppose not too bad in the end
Well if it was the slave you are still looking for what was dripping on your foot,
If the slave was dripping it is dripping upwards as its in the clutch housing!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting point, I will speak to the garage, but since the slave was done the fluid drip behind the clutch pedal seems to have stopped, so maybe it was just a small amount of clutch fluid that had travelled along some pipework, as I original said it was only a few very small drops. but will report what the gagrage says, and of course keep an eye on it in case it does return, but hopefully that the end of the mystery drip !!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spoke to garage and yes they said the slave would not have caused the drip behind the clutch pedal that would have come from the master, when they checked it it looked OK, so they agreed that I should keep an eye on it if it starts to leak again they will change it and only charge for part cost, which I might also be able to get under the warranty, or part of it at least.

Been driving around this morning and it is still dry, so I'll see what happens

1 - 15 of 15 Posts