MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) According to today's Sunday Mirror insurance companies are writing off MGRs in the mistaken belief that parts availability is an issue:
"HERE'S some comfort for all those MG Rover owners who are being told their cars must be written-off through lack of parts. Leicestershire supplier XPart claims they have £40million of stock and "near total MGRover parts availability". So when insurers or garages say they can't source vital ECUs or rear suspension bits, they're wrong."

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
GSi said:
:) According to today's Sunday Mirror insurance companies are writing off MGRs in the mistaken belief that parts availability is an issue:
"HERE'S some comfort for all those MG Rover owners who are being told their cars must be written-off through lack of parts. Leicestershire supplier XPart claims they have £40million of stock and "near total MGRover parts availability". So when insurers or garages say they can't source vital ECUs or rear suspension bits, they're wrong."
Well i know thats true, but i was at an Accident Repair centre the other day, and the guy showed me a Rover he was waiting for a rear panel for for a month, and he wasnt a bull****ter, he fully admitted 95% of parts are no problem to get, but there is an issue with some.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Master Yoda said:
there are Body PANEL issues it has been well documented
Bumpers and front wings maybe? Exactley the parts i need, i suspect it is going to result in my car being written off.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
There were body panel issues.

However speaking to warehouse operatives at Xpart they are seeing body panels coming in.
Well the insurers are still scared of trying to repair the rovers/MG's if they arent worth a lot because of the off chance of not being able to source parts.
Everytime i speak to norwich union they say "its 10 years old, and its a Rover".
They are easing me in to the "we've written it off" bit.
Ill probably buy it off them and use it as spares for my next car, or get it back on the road myself.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
IanRobertson said:
My car is a case in point. Front bumpers for all facelift cars are scarce.
Well im in a Mk2 400, do you mean facelift as in the change to 45/25 from 400/200?
The accident repair guy was brilliant, he said "if they are going to try and repair it but i think you'll be sitting waiting for parts and without a car for months, then ill get them to scrap it"
I kind of want tha car written off now, ive come to accept it and its got one or two items that need fixing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
He means the MY04 cars onwards. Facelift is used to mean the last set of facelifts MGR did, e.g. the single piece headlamps, and the revised grills on the MG's.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Northerner said:
He means the MY04 cars onwards. Facelift is used to mean the last set of facelifts MGR did, e.g. the single piece headlamps, and the revised grills on the MG's.
Ah right, so its easier to get older panels/bumpers than it is to get the later ones? hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
x part havent done nearly enough to inform the refinishing industry. especially in the south. dosnt seem to matter whether its facelift or not. anything with rear damage has to wait months for parts and front end damage parts are widely availiable!!

i blame xpart for this myth that mgrs now have to be written off when dented or scratched!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
SDI200 said:
x part havent done nearly enough to inform the refinishing industry. especially in the south. dosnt seem to matter whether its facelift or not. anything with rear damage has to wait months for parts and front end damage parts are widely availiable!!

i blame xpart for this myth that mgrs now have to be written off when dented or scratched!
Sadly you are wrong - Front end parts are as bad as rear. Hence why my ZT has been written off.

·
Registered
672 Posts
i've got a thread somewhere telling of my mrs' encounter with a pheasant, damage: front bumper, power steering cooling pipes, intercooler, fan pack (and maybe other stuff - i can't remember) when i went in this morning they told me this: - still waiting for the bumper from italy - fan pack has come from spain - pipes from xpart - and the intercooler was "the last one in the country" from a LR dealer in wales. but judging from other comments on this page, we're lucky it wasn't written off. *** it's a '05 facelift zt cdti 135 *** they also told me that in the last few weeks they have had several calls trying to buy the intercooler from them, causing so much hassle they have had to create a job card to get it off the "visible" system.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
scooby76 said:
and the intercooler was "the last one in the country" from a LR dealer in wales.
If that's a shared part with LR's then I'm amazed Ford aren't doing something about LR parts supply.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The strange bit is that I thought that profits for car companies were more in spares (and HP, servicing, etc) as oppose to sales. I'm sure that the Sunday Mirror article was based on a press release from X-Part so hopefully things may change, though the above seems to indicate otherwise.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
IanRobertson said:
Sadly you are wrong - Front end parts are as bad as rear. Hence why my ZT has been written off.
Sorry mate i wasnt aware you'd had your car written off, what happened? what level of damage are we talking about here?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts