MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
In the middle east when a new formula one track is built they go all out and come up with a really impressive building design and an absolutely stunning 3D run through of the facilities. What we've got is a basic aerial drawing and buildings and facilities that don't really look any better than Silverstone. I am really concerned that the home of British formula 1 is going to be a huge dissapointment. Silverstone have worked so hard getting the infrastructure right so that its easy to get to and from the track, and the facilities weren't really that bad were they? Its just another chance for Bernie to flex his muscles.

The facilities at Silverstone are better than half the entire F1 calendar - some are given the excuse, rather like Ferrari, ironically, that "some of them need protection as its for the good of F1 history" and crap like that.

The facilities at Silverstone are better than half the entire F1 calendar - some are given the excuse, rather like Ferrari, ironically, that "some of them need protection as its for the good of F1 history" and crap like that.

i may be wrong....wasn't silverstone the first ever GP, or was that british gp? 51?

i remember going to silverstone 1990, it was a long trek into the woods then, no by passes nothing. you never new you were near it until you found the perimeter fence!

very sad to see silverstone go, and, likewise, Brands (last one 1985/6?) both great circuits, i hope Donnington can pull it off!

Russ

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Donington have lost the circuits MSA licence as a result of the changes that have been made, a few events have taken place under a temporary licence but this has come to an end meaning that the next 4 weekend events have been cancelled. Not good, not good at all. :shake:

Frankly speaking I think it's time for a totally new race track in a smart location. Silverstone was good for motor racing but compared to the latest tracks it looks a bit dowdy. A coastal location would be fun, imagine the fog risk, that would be truly entertaining.....

tbh Silverstone is a great track, in a good location and with good road links. All it needed was an expensive make over to improve the paddocks area. Which they have got / are going to get anyway, as far as I knows.

Bernie just didn't like the people who own and run Silverstone.

Is it too late to switch back to Silverstone (thinking of the aborted plan to use Brands...)?
Unlikely - if Donnington fails to come up with the goods I reckon that'll be it as far as a British GP is concerned. BE has plenty of other countries already lined up or queueing up to be included that he can quite safely accommodate his dislike for the BRDC - and probably make himself even more money.

The end is nigh! At least according to Autosport.com today.

Donington owners Wheatcroft and Son are taking legal action against the group who own the lease. Based on unpaid rent in the region of £2.5 million, they say they are in the unfortunate postion of having to take legal action to retrieve the money owed and also to revoke the lease.

Bernie has already said it will NOT go back to Silverstone.

Ridiculous really. As much as I dislike Donington for an F1 circuit (it just isn't, and won't be suitable in more ways than one) it's a great MotoGP circuit and one of many great circuits we have in this country. We have a fantastic history with motorsport and home to the biggest and best teams in the world.
Bernie however cares not for such piffle, because such piffle doesn't line his pockets.
To echo what I've said before, the sooner someone assassinates him, the better.

I would be suprised if Tom Wheatcroft wanted Donington to lose the GP. He has made a fantastic contribution to British motorsport over the last 50 years, and I'm sure would, like most of us, hate to see the British GP dissappear.

I suspect that he has knowingly put the legal case forward as a kick in the backside for the leaseholders to make them pay up. It will all be resolved soon.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
The rent hasn't been paid since last September, to be honest I fear for Donnington circuit let alone holing the British BP. It's interesting that East Midlands airport have been given permission to extend the runway.

The more I think about it the more I think we need a totally new F1 track in the UK. Why not? We build enough new Football stadiums. But if they were to build a new track then frankly injecting some more glamour into the location would be no bad thing. Having seen some of the other locations around the world I can't help but think Silverstone looks a bvit nackered.....Donington even more so.

The more I think about it the more I think we need a totally new F1 track in the UK. Why not? We build enough new Football stadiums. But if they were to build a new track then frankly injecting some more glamour into the location would be no bad thing. Having seen some of the other locations around the world I can't help but think Silverstone looks a bvit nackered.....Donington even more so.
We built an oval (Rockingham) when we should have built an F1 track.

Silverstone does look knackered but then so does Monza but could you imagine Ferrari not getting a home GP? I won't even mention Hungaroring... All these modern tracks Bahrain, Shanghai, Sepang, Turkey - they're all very bland IMO. Yes they have nice big (often empty) stands with a big wide track so you can fall off and drive back on. But there's not alot of outstanding memorable corners on any of these modern circuits that give the driver/viewer much satisfaction.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.