MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it does. As far as I know, the biggest engine the ZT has is the 2.5KV6 without going into the V8 category, and that is quite a large gap. Why does'nt MGR source a 3.0L from someone or other, or open up the KV6 a little bit more? The way I see it is that most rep's who buy the 5-series or the A6, often have 3.0 L written on the back of their cars. So why does'nt MGR make the ZT that little bit more competitive with this market and get a 3.0 out for the ZT?

·
Registered
133 Posts
MGR needs something like a 2200cc 4cyl for the 45 75 ZS and ZT

and a 3000cc 6pot for the ZS ZT and 75

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT IS A RWD TOPROVER 95

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Given that development money was freely available I think you'd be onto something with the 3.0 V6 idea. Especially if it were the KV6 :)

I can't say how impressed I am with the KV6 in my ZS, and I'm still running it in. It sounds fabulous even just going up to 3000rpm :hyper:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I've got a 75 with the 2.5 litre V6. It is a cracking engine, but I would love to have more power.

The question is, what would be the most cost effective way for MG-Rover to provide that? One option would be to rework the 2.5 litre engine - after all, the Jaguar 2.5 litre kicks out over 200bhp. The other alternative is do what the Aussies have done and stick a supercharger on it, bringing the power up to 220bhp.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
I'm still not 100% convinced by the Aussie Supercharger. It is such a blindingly obvious addition to the range, that if it were as simple as it is being made out to be, I am sure MGR would have had it on sale here in the UK a long time ago.

John

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Major Ingram said:
The ZT and 75 is crying out for a 3 Litre DIESEL

It's about time this was addressed IMO
Agreed... together with a more reliable supply of smaller capacity diesels too for the 75/ZT.

John

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
boxwellm said:
I've got a 75 with the 2.5 litre V6. It is a cracking engine, but I would love to have more power.
Three words: zorst, chip, filter :bandit:

No on seconds thoughts that probably wouldn't suit a R75 ;)

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Zorst and filter fine... but you need to be careful chipping a KV6.

I know speaking to an MGR Dealer Technician, he's of the opinion that a KV6 can handle little more than 200bhp without serious modifications. And that opinion is based on witnessing a couple of horror stories first hand :err:

Still, I'm sure that there'll be plenty who'll give it a go, just like a certain MGR dealer in Belfast who was chipping ZT CDTi's on the basis of 'well if the B*W unit can run 15bhp more in a 3 series, then it can be done in a ZT.'

Unfortunately, they were unaware of the fact that the 75/ZT unit is a lower spec unit than the 3 series lump :err:

John

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Given that the 2.5KV6 version of the 75 probably represents a tiny proportion of sales, a 3.0 version is not a priority. A more powerful diesel on the other hand, would be a welcome boost to the range, and wouldn't come a moment too soon.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
News to me, RSM have run the KV6 at 300bhp with Nitrous, and im sure they rate the std crank safe to 300bhp! The engine should be capable of 250bhp NASP without internal modifications, as its a stronger unit, and more carefully built than the 4pot k-series. QED have run 2litre KV6's to 9500rpm and over 320bhp so im sure its a far stronger engine than the 4cyl K-series units. Theres a U.S. firm that does 250bhp supercharged freelander conversions, and they use std internals without any problems AFAIK. For a fast road tune a 220-230bhp KV6 should be very reliable, if slightly peaky, but seeing as its such a sweet and smooth revving engine thats not a problem. The only thing that would really help a tuned KV6 is a closely stacked 6spd gearbox, for maximum acceleration!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Stevo135+ said:
QED have run 2litre KV6's to 9500rpm and over 320bhp so im sure its a far stronger engine than the 4cyl K-series units.
I've just started drooling!

Is the 2.0 capable of revving higher than the 2.5? What mods are they doing to get the engine revving that high?

If there's one "criticism" I've got of the KV6 in 180/190 form, it's that it revs so sweetly and pulls so hard that it's easy to hit the rev limiter. If the limit was high however ... :devil2:

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
News to me, RSM have run the KV6 at 300bhp with Nitrous, and im sure they rate the std crank safe to 300bhp! The engine should be capable of 250bhp NASP without internal modifications, as its a stronger unit, and more carefully built than the 4pot k-series. QED have run 2litre KV6's to 9500rpm and over 320bhp so im sure its a far stronger engine than the 4cyl K-series units. Theres a U.S. firm that does 250bhp supercharged freelander conversions, and they use std internals without any problems AFAIK. For a fast road tune a 220-230bhp KV6 should be very reliable, if slightly peaky, but seeing as its such a sweet and smooth revving engine thats not a problem. The only thing that would really help a tuned KV6 is a closely stacked 6spd gearbox, for maximum acceleration!

Yup, but I do wonder about the reliability TBH.

Certainly what became the ZT190, was originally planned to be a ZT200, but according to what I was told at the 2002 British Motor Show on the MGR stand, they 'couldn't guarantee reliability' from a 200bhp unit run oin standard service shcedules, hence the 190.

Although admittedly Kevin Howe did drive a ZT200 as his personal workhorse for a time.

John

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Pretty sure they are still using the K Series in the current generation Freelander. It will be dropped though in the next generation Freelander to be built at Halewood.

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts