MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the aluminium sportscars exist? If so who owns them? PVH or MG Rover? Last rumour I heard was from Keith Adams. He said that they were planning to relaunch Austin Healey (AH) but the project was not owned by MGR but PVH. I thought it odd at the time but now it seems very logical. I also heard that the MG brand is owned by PVH along with the SV. But I'm not sure about the TF. If this is true then could MG and AH either be sold (to someone like VW) or developed by PVH?

Keith where are you? Can you shed some light on the sportscar projects?

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
The SV project is handled by MG Sport & Racing Limited - a subsidiary of PVH; TF is an integral part of MG Rover Group Limited - another subsidiary of PVH.

The Austin Healey trademark belongs to MG Rover Group Limited; as too does MG; as too does MG X Power.

As for new models, it has been reported that there are 4 new models that are potentially only months away from entering production... which is probably the most frustrating thing at the moment.

Regards

John

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnSwitzer said:
The SV project is handled by MG Sport & Racing Limited - a subsidiary of PVH; TF is an integral part of MG Rover Group Limited - another subsidiary of PVH.

The Austin Healey trademark belongs to MG Rover Group Limited; as too does MG; as too does MG X Power.

As for new models, it has been reported that there are 4 new models that are potentially only months away from entering production... which is probably the most frustrating thing at the moment.

Regards

John
John I also thought MG was owned by MG Rover Group Limited but John Moulton, the guy from Alchemy said that the administrators could not sell MG as they did not own it anymore. Perhaps he tried to buy it again? Perhaps PVH changed ownership at the last minute?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Anyone know what Rob Oldaker is up to?
I believe he was the mastermind behind the MG Z cars. What has he been up to since then (other than the V8s)?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would imagine that the company's future depends on the fact that there are future models close to production. If it were the case that they were still 2 years away from any new metal (RD60), there would be little attraction to the company by potential buyers/investors.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,110 Posts
I've been away working in Germany while all this has been going on. The Austin-Healey thing has been an on-off project, and its future lay on the table of the MGR board.

I think this is now a side-issue, and more urgent problems are there to be solved.

Of course, if anyone has an update on the situation, I'd love to hear, because a positive sliver of news in these dark time would be worth shouting from the rooftops...

Regards,
Keith

P.S., I've an appointment with Rob Oldaker for the 14th April, but as to whether it still stands, I won't find out 'til Monday.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keith must admit I'm hoping that if everything goes pear shaped that MGR can resurrect a sportcar division. Do you know how far away MGR were with these cars?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,110 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
Keith must admit I'm hoping that if everything goes pear shaped that MGR can resurrect a sportcar division. Do you know how far away MGR were with these cars?
No, but a PM from E668 ECP might help...

Regards,
Keith

G

·
I'm not a source on this information I only know what I've been told. Saying anything might land me in the sh*t with MGR/PwC so its best I keep quiet. I don't work for MGR and its heresay what I know

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've only heard the same rumours about the new sportcars as everyone else.
But we can speculate about what form they might take, and probably with some accuracy.

(Of course I could be wrong, the aluminium sportcars could be the 75 coupe and TF GT, in which case I would cry - but I doubt this is the case).

What do the rumours say?
There are two cars - coupe and convertible maybe?
They have aluminium bodies - so they are light, and they may well not be based on an existing platform. This is a good thing if MG (or AH) is to be seperated from the rest of the business.

Then ask these questions:

Where is there a gap in the sportscar market? Is there a niche where the opposition can be outgunned or outhandled?
Actually the TF already outguns its competition, and certain German sportscars in a particular price bracket can easily be outhandled.

What modern production and construction methods are suitable for medium volume sportscars? Extruded aluminium maybe?

What modern architectures are being developed by UK engineering consultancies? - Think Lotus's modular construction.

What drivetrains and suspension systems have MGR recently developed for RWD platforms? Would they spend a fortune on doing this if they didn't have other plans for these systems?

What is the usual drivetrain configuration for classic British sportcars? Will the emphasis be on entertainment (FR), or lap times (MR)?

What is the most powerful engine produced by Powertrain?

What engine is the most suitable for a light weight (aluminium) sportscar?

What do Australians (and Americans) do to engines when they aren't satisfied with the power? (Australians can never have enough power it seems, even though their low speed limits are ruthlessly enforced.)

What other technology has been pioneered in the SV? - Think fancy harnesses, telemetry, remote diagnostic and tracking systems.

Add up all of the answers and what have you got?

Then comes the most important question - how much will it cost to productionise, and will investors see this as a bargain?

Answers on the back of a postcard please.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts