MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I better start a new thread rather than hijack someone elses. It concerns Bob's tyres.

I had the rear tyres replaced the end of December 2005. OK so its my fault - I wen't to Kwik-fit in Watford. It was a rush job - I only had a limited time off work to get them done.

Back then, I knew nothing about the problems with GSD3 tyres. I had GSD2s on all round when it went in, and they fitted GSD3s on the back.

To be fair I have had no problems, but in the light of what Sharky said, am I voiding my insurance by using them?

Should I expect a large company like Kwik-Fit to know about these important technical issuses? Especially as both MGR and Goodyear issued warnings?

Incidentally on the receipt it doesn't mention GSD3 anywhere, just:

GOODYR 215/40 Z 16 SF1

The tyres definitely say GSD3 on the rims tho.

Should I do anything? I feel that I should at least find out whether Kwik-Fit know of the problem.

Iain

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,294 Posts
If you have not had any problems with them then declare the change to your insurers. If they want any extra for the change then I would go back to Kwik-Fit otherwise I think it’s a bit late to have a clam against the fitting of the wrong spec tyres. You would hope a big tyre supplier would know what they are doing but we are talking about Kwik-Fit who don’t exactly have the most enviable reputation.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
from a man who works in insurance, if you had an accident and they are picky enough to check your car for the right type of tyres then you would be Mr miraculously unlucky!

With the value of TF's it is unlikely that an insurer would raise any issues with correctly fitted tyres. If it were a Ferrari and you lost control costing them £100K then they may be a little concerned!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
iaross said:
Thought I better start a new thread rather than hijack someone elses. It concerns Bob's tyres.

I had the rear tyres replaced the end of December 2005. OK so its my fault - I wen't to Kwik-fit in Watford. It was a rush job - I only had a limited time off work to get them done.

Back then, I knew nothing about the problems with GSD3 tyres. I had GSD2s on all round when it went in, and they fitted GSD3s on the back.

To be fair I have had no problems, but in the light of what Sharky said, am I voiding my insurance by using them?

Should I expect a large company like Kwik-Fit to know about these important technical issuses? Especially as both MGR and Goodyear issued warnings?

Incidentally on the receipt it doesn't mention GSD3 anywhere, just:

GOODYR 215/40 Z 16 SF1

The tyres definitely say GSD3 on the rims tho.

Should I do anything? I feel that I should at least find out whether Kwik-Fit know of the problem.

Iain
Well, when I got one of my rear tyres replaced at an Ex-Rover dealer, they fitted a GS-D3. I thought nothing of it as I knew no different, and a few days later got the other rear fitted by ATS.

The ATS bloke actually asked if it was the GS-D2 which should be fitted so I told him what the Ex-Rover dealer supplied, hence after the fitting, my TF was sitting with two GS-D3 tyres on the back and two GS-D2 on the front.

That's when things started to get hairy while driving around, and I mean really scary! There was no feel to the car at all over 50MPH, it would wobble, shake, feel like it was going to run off the road, cornering took a major hammering... nasty nasty stuff.

Investigation on this site found that GS-D3's shouldn't be fitted to 16" rims and now I know why, nearly paying the price with my car!

I complained to the Ex-Rover dealer and they agreed to replace the GS-D3 with a GS-D2 at no cost to me after they admitted they were wrong and they shouldn't have been fitted. However, before I informed them of this Rover/Goodyear bulletin about the GS-D3's they had absolutely no idea that they were a problem.

I still had to pay for another GS-D2 from ATS though.

My point being, if an Ex-Rover dealer knew nothing of this bulletin and/or problem with the GS-D3's it's highly unlikely that an independant tyre fitter such as Kwik Fit would know anything about it. It's always worth asking them to do a change for free, as long as the tyres aren't very badly worn etc. I'd show them the bulletin and see what they say. Nothing to lose.

And my advice would be to get rid of the GS-D3's ASAP, I found them dangerous and a real killjoy when driving the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I guess the guy in insurance knows, but when I stuffed my last F (not my best move) the investigator came round because I was trying to persuade them to fix rather than a right off and the first place he went to were the tyres, now he may just want to see they had tread but he had a good look at them. Give it a go and see if they will change them. After the last post you're never gonna really feel safe.

Colin

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll give Kwik Fit a call on Tuesday if nothing else reminding them of the problem so no-one else gets caught.

I have to stress that there have been NO handling problems what so ever since December. I do over 500miles a week so it adds up to thousands of miles with no problems.

I travel round the M25 to the M3 South, and those of you who know the M3 South junction, it is a long sweeping quite tight right hand bend. The car has no problems with 70MPH round that.

Maybe its because I have both SP2 and SP1 that compensates for it. I very much doubt that kwik-fit will replace 6months down the line.

Iain

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
FWIW I got my new set of F1s from a small independent tyre fitters attached to a breakers yard business.
The guy rang his wholesaler for prices, and was told “don’t fit GSD3 and they will cause the car to crash' and thus gave prices for GSD2.
The tyre fitter wasn't aware of the issue before this, but at least the wholesaler was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts