MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired some second hand alloys of the correct size (the one on the car are a little over sized) for my MG-TF and I'm going to refurbish then in white.

As I have never done wheels before I'm not sure what paints I should use, I will be restricted to buying from Halfords sadly as there are no decent shops in my area.
I was thinking of using an etch primer first (they nave a choice of two ( U-POL Acid #8 Etch Primer or Halfords Etch Primer 500ml ) and the a filler primer (so I get a super smooth finish (in my dreams)) and then finish with about three coats of ordinary car paint ( Halfords Honda Orchid White Spray Paint - 300ml) would the car paint be OK or is there another paint I should buy?

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
_DSF3276a.jpg _DSF9157.jpg DSCF8728.jpg

I got pleasing results with this paint. It's in d-i-y shops and on the 'net.

Yes, you can get gloss white with a white primer.

It took a few days (never sprayed wheels before...) but like you I had the luxury of keeping some others on for a while until the new wheels were done :)

Also when you d-i-y you can wire-brush the corrosion that always lies at the spoke/rim interface on the inside and know it's been dealt with - and you've got the correct coloured spare paint for touch-in if you're unfortunate enough to clout a kerb :cautious:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice job there ArntyR I will have a look and see if I can find that paint locally.
I think that an etch primer would give a longer life to them though, would be good to see what others think on that?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
There are mobile companies around here that will do them for £35-40 a wheel.

In the end, you spend around half of that and it will probably never look as good.

Personal opinion, but been there tried that - takes forever just to get an ‘OK’ job.

Good luck.

Reactions: CaroleJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are mobile companies around here that will do them for £35-40 a wheel.

In the end, you spend around half of that and it will probably never look as good.

Personal opinion, but been there tried that - takes forever just to get an ‘OK’ job.

Good luck.
I will let you know as I bought the paint today :)

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
This article on the other forum gave me the final 'push' to d-i-y.

Since I'd had the tyres changed to another set of wheels it seemed a bit rude not to have a go at the whole wheel surface.

Imo this is where powder-coating impresses, since I feel it's easier to merely fill the 'kerb', smooth + respray the outer, more-noticeable, visible 'face' of the wheels. However, I feel that powder-coating is so expensive for what is essentially a 'quick turn around process', especially as all 4 wheels need to be done at the same time to avoid colour mismatch...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts