MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my plate of the front of the car because it was hanging off, its off the road at the moment, so i chucked it behind the seats and the sun has made it the shape of a banana, i dont want to bin it as its the original one with the main dealer garage details on it, and i won't be able to get a replacement as its a 1998, anyway any ideas on how i could straighten it?
maybe a hairdryer?
cheers rach..

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Number plates are quite flexible. I think if you screwed the plate into position it would be ok.

If its not. Getting a replacement would be easy. Get the V5 and a photocard ID (Driving license, passport etc) and take to any garage (or even Halfords) and you can get a new plate made up.

I have two Halfords ones on my car. They're great because you can barely see the Halfords logo. Unless you get really close, they just look like blank bumber plates with my reg number on them :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Number plates are quite flexible. I think if you screwed the plate into position it would be ok.

If its not. Getting a replacement would be easy. Get the V5 and a photocard ID (Driving license, passport etc) and take to any garage (or even Halfords) and you can get a new plate made up.

I have two Halfords ones on my car. They're great because you can barely see the Halfords logo. Unless you get really close, they just look like blank bumber plates with my reg number on them :)
You can get plates without logos on ebay and half the price of Halfords!:bgrin2:

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
You can get plates without logos on ebay and half the price of Halfords!:bgrin2:
without sounding pedantic, those arent legal.

i doubt u would be pulled, unless by a very ****** off policeman, but its still illegal. i would just heat up with hairdryer a bit, then either put inside airing cupboard upside down with some heavy book on top, or just go ahead and try bolting onto car anyway.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
17,936 Posts

i doubt u would be pulled, unless by a very ****** off policeman, but its still illegal. i would just heat up with hairdryer a bit, then either put inside airing cupboard upside down with some heavy book on top, or just go ahead and try bolting onto car anyway.
These halfords ones look like they have no logo on. I've not been pulled over. But you're right. Number plates must have the place that made them labelled on there somewhere. This is to track companies that may make illegal plates.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My plates carry no maker postcode, not had any problems :)

(Spacings a tad off too but again, no problems)

Try reheating it then putting some weight on top to keep it flat whilst it's maleable :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

Yes plates are supposed to have the makers postcode on them but their are many Number plate suppliers able to supply plates over the internet without a postcode stamp, because they have a clause saying plates for offroad/show use so thats how they get away with it.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Yes plates are supposed to have the makers postcode on them but their are many Number plate suppliers able to supply plates over the internet without a postcode stamp, because they have a clause saying plates for offroad/show use so thats how they get away with it.
they arent getting away with jack ****.... they are illegal. ;) they haev no liability if u get pulled over, so its your own fault if a policeman pulls u for using 'show' plates on your car.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
surely rach's only problem was that she wanted to keep the original, dealer supplied, plates for authenticity. She wanted to straighten them out for reuse. I'm assuming the dealer is no longer in business or no longer has access to the franchise logos.

Not the same as a fancyplates replacement - although that's what is on my car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that went slightly off track, i will hairdryer it and flatten it some how. and i have got a combi boiler so i have no airing cupboard.
cheers all rach.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have an MG logo on the right, and a green shadow on mine. Legal font. Got pulled over last year for a roadside check (emissions, tyres, lights etc.) no mention of the number plate, and not had any trouble since. :)

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
I have an MG logo on the right, and a green shadow on mine. Legal font. Got pulled over last year for a roadside check (emissions, tyres, lights etc.) no mention of the number plate, and not had any trouble since. :)
it is moot area. basically it is illegal. it does just come down to the pettyness of the policeman in each case. the way i see it, if the copper is annoyed by something, having a bad day or whatever, he could see your plate as an easy excuse to pull u over and then go voer your car with a fine tooth and comb and if he cant find anything, he can still slap a fine on you for your plate.
as i said earlier, most forces are pretty laid back about having badges etc, its normally only the most badly altered that get picked up, but u never know.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Ahh. The old, I know what the laws are regarding number plates but refuse to stick to them, type posts. :)

I would lie it on a suitable flat surface with books on it and then heat it with a hair dryer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The sun bent it one way let the sun straighten it. Put it upside down on a sunny windowsill with heavy books on top to keep it flat and stop it bending upwards.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts