MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
So, several weeks later, new head gasket, new cam belt, new water pump, new plugs, new ht leads - kind of, let's get this old girl/boy/gender neutral, sorted. It was when it came to bleeding the cooling system that another problem arose. Turns out that at some point in the poor old thing's life it was fitted with an after market radiator - that doesn't have a bleed valve. So bleeding has to be done at two bleed valves instead of three. Result - the car drives beautifully but within 3 minutes of stationary idling the temperature is just about to go into the red. At which point I switch off the engine. Conclusion, there is still a small amount of air in the system somewhere and because the radiator can't be bled it's not getting rid of all the air. I may be wrong but it seems an unlikely coincidence.
Anybody had this occur? Can a bleed valve be fitted into a radiator that doesn't have one?
Any suggestions gratefully received!
If it were me and I had spent all that money getting him/her/them back to scratch with all the work you have had done, I would replace the rad with an oem or after market one, full coolant replacement and full bleed. You've come this far lol :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I seem to remember facing the same, back in the day. I think we got around it by loosening the nearest hose and bleeding using that instead of the missing bleed valve.
Yes, that seemed to work. Had the car idling for 30 minutes with the temp needle on one notch below half way. Also put a new cap on as per Chris T's suggestion. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Another problem - whilst unzipping the rear window to access the engine the end bit of the zip broke and so I can't now zip it up to close it. I'd like to replace the whole rear screen but this is now an added complication. Does anyone know of a company that could do this? There is an advert on the forum for this exact service by someone called Sonia Morris but it is from 2013 and when I contacted her recently she said she has stopped doing it but doesn't know who to take down the advert!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For Finalapproach - you could try Jack Smith at Swansea ( see recommendations on MX5 forum etc.). Wouldn’t surprise me you can post yours off and get it returned.
For Finalapproach - you could try Jack Smith at Swansea ( see recommendations on MX5 forum etc.). Wouldn’t surprise me you can post yours off and get it returned.
Nothing to do with the hood this time - have been reading up on the hydragas suspension. The ride does feel quite harsh over bumps and I believe the distance between the bottom of the arch and the centre of the wheel is supposed to be 36cm. Well on mine it's more like 30cm at each corner so I guess it needs pumping up. I live in Hampshire and I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows where I could get it done in this part of the world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nothing to do with the hood this time - have been reading up on the hydragas suspension. The ride does feel quite harsh over bumps and I believe the distance between the bottom of the arch and the centre of the wheel is supposed to be 36cm. Well on mine it's more like 30cm at each corner so I guess it needs pumping up. I live in Hampshire and I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows where I could get it done in this part of the world.
Actually, I've just come across something called "The Hydragas Register" which lists a large number of garages across the country who do this. Several very close to me so I'll investigate these once we're all back at work after Her Maj's celebrations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bizarrely, one of the garages listed near me is Martin's of Winchester - who are a Renault/Dacia/Alpine main dealer! Maybe 20 years ago they were MG Rover! So I see what you mean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I'm Tom, I'm an alcoholic - no, just kidding! Sorry, no offence! I bought a 2002 MGF the day before yesterday and today it has emptied it's bowels of coolant all over my garage floor after, I have to say, a very satisfying 15 minute drive to put some shell vpower in the tank. Lots of hissing,, clonking and a bit of steam. I shut down pronto and I guess it'll be a trip to my local garage. Last time this happened it was with a Merc SLK and the water pump had failed. I guess it could be that , or the radiator, or a leak somewhere in the cooling system but it's a fairly lively one! Any ideas? Quite disappointing as it's Day 3 of my first ever MG ownership experience!
Get used to it. I've had mine a month and working down a substantial list of faults to rectify! 😂

21 - 38 of 38 Posts