MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Different immobiliser problem, Rover 214 Si

Hi,
This is my first post here, I hope one of you good guys can help.
Rover 214 Si M Reg, 16v.
Central locking and Immobiliser were working fine, then I had the Starter Motor replaced. Now, no central locking, no immobiliser. The LED does not come on, and the locks have to be manually locked one by one. I don't think that changing starter motor had anything to do with it, but I'm no expert, so I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi,
Was the battery disconnected when the starter was replaced ? check all your fuses and connections on your battery and feeds and earths to your starter.

Regards
DaveH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Respot said:
Hi,
Was the battery disconnected when the starter was replaced ? check all your fuses and connections on your battery and feeds and earths to your starter.

Regards
DaveH
Hi Dave,
Yes the battery was disconnected, and I've checked all fuses. The starter motor was replaced by my local mechanic, and he checked everything that he thought would cause it, but could find nothing. This is a total mystery.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I've done some extensive searching for an answer to this problem. The only thing that remotely looks related, seems to be a disconnected wire on the ECU. Can some one please tell me where I can find the ECU on my Rover 214 Si so that I can check if any wires are disconnected?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Have you tried re-synchronising the fob with the car? I believe pressing unlock a lot of times achieves this. Or pressing lock and then unlock a lot of times. Failing that, try a search on this site.

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
Some cars had an extra ECU earth lead that was bolted under one of the 3 starter motor bolts... might be worth checking.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
technozen said:
Some cars had an extra ECU earth lead that was bolted under one of the 3 starter motor bolts... might be worth checking.
Absolutley correct-the earth was poorly corroded and the same thing happened to me on my '93 16v si and sent the central locking loopy.Mine has the 14vt Im not sure when the 5AS was phased in sometime late '95 from what my scrap yard vistits tell me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all replies. I'll look for an earth lead near the starter motor and will report back later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I give up. There are no loose or bad earth leads. I guess I'll have to live with. I don't think I have to worry about it getting nicked (M reg), but the central locking will be missed.
Thanks again to all who replied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts