MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between my mgf 120bhp 1.8i and the tf 1.8i 135bhp???

is it all throttle body's like the rovers 85psi and 105psi????

would love to get a couple more bhp out of my ickle mgf :D

·
Registered
mg_zt
225 Posts
I think the main difference is to do with the air filter set up, plus a 52mm throttle body, so get a k&n 57i induction kit, plus a 52mm throttle body and you should be roughly there, no doubt someone with more knowledge will be along in a minute,

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ye got a 52mm throttle body ready to go on my baby this weekend and im getting a cusomt induction exhaust set up from www.prospeed.biz or should i get a proper zorst made for the mgf??? not sure anyone can answer ??

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
My memory isn't always what it should be but I'm sute that I read on here that the TF135 has different cams.

Right, fairly quick and simple search for "TF135 cams"

The MGF originally came in two varients 1.8 MPi (approx 120 bhp) and 1,8 VVC (approx 145 bhp). There were various Limited and Special Editions - one of these being the Trophy 160. This got it's extra power by tuning the VVC engine. Around 2000 1.6 MGFs and Steptronic MGFs were introduced. As Andy says the Steptronic used the MPi engine because the ZF box couldn't take the torque and probably the higher revs of the VVC engine. When the TF was introduced the 1.8 MPi engine got better breathing and slightly hotter cams which upped the power to approx 135 bhp. The VVC engine was standardised at approx 160 bhp like the Trophy before. However, the limiting factors of the auto box were still there and so the TF120 kept the old MGF 1.8 MPi engine. I'm not sure what the MGF 1.6 produced, but in the TF 115 this 1.6 engine is obviously in a higher state of tune than the 1.8 TF 120 one to be almost producing the same amount of power. However, I suspect that it might be down on torque..
The TF120 and the TF135 both have identical torque figures, its just that the TF120 engine produces it 2000rpm lower than the 135 varient. This more grunty bottom end delivery obviously suits the steptronic autobox better than the higher revving, but less torquey at low revs TF135 unit. The TF120 engine would probably go just as well as the 135 does if it had a manual box, and certainely the in gear acceleration would be as quick if not not quicker, the 120bhp engine as fitted in the MGF does feel quite a bit more pokey at under 3000rpm than the 135 version. The 0-60 and top speed are obviously better with 135bhp, as the downside to the 120bhp engine is that it tails off quickly at over 5500rpm, and revving past 6000 is utterly pointless.
The TF115 has the same camshafts as the TF135 which increases power from 110bhp to 115bhp. It still has the plastic inlet manifold and 48mm TB though, which IMO is very likely why the power and torque of the TF115 are at different points to that on the 135 engine.
Thanks to the people who originally posted these notes.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really umm intresting would it be a straight swap with my mgf camms i mean do they use different pullies and ecu's???? as well???

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've heard its mainly in the breathing side of things. The filter setup is appartently different, the 52mm throttle body, and I've also heard the TF exhaust system is slightly more efficient.

All of which I've just realised I've changed!:guns: fancy that! In terms of the exhaust I can't comment on the one your getting, but I got the Milltek quad and what a difference, a little more power I would say, but the noise is fantastic!

Hope that helps

Ian

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
fecae2000 said:
really umm intresting would it be a straight swap with my mgf camms i mean do they use different pullies and ecu's???? as well???
Do like I did, search for TF!£% CAMS and read Rob Bell's posts on the problems of matching 135 cams to mpi dissie.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Buy a motobuild exhaust and you will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!!

get some decent piper cams and verniers that should see you right before head porting ect

pic of my old motobuild exhaust

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Questions, questions, questions... :)

First up:

fecae2000 said:
ye got a 52mm throttle body ready to go on my baby this weekend and im getting a cusomt induction exhaust set up from www.prospeed.biz or should i get a proper zorst made for the mgf??? not sure anyone can answer ??
We tested the aftermarket systems available in, hmmm 1999 i believe for MG World magazine (now defunct) and do you know what the biggest conclusion of the day was? That the standard system isn't all that bad! :lol: We threw the best the aftermarket could offer at the car and only came up with a +5 bhp gain, so if you are going down the custom made route - BE VERY CAREFUL - as you could actually end up loosing power.

For the record the top performing system was the Mike Satur Daytona (+5bhp), very closely followed by the Miltek Supersports (+4.5bhp). If you see manufacturer's claims of massive power hikes (i have seen up to +13bhp), all i can say is take it with a pinch of salt - they are trying to sell you an exhaust and rolling roads can be made to say pretty much anything.

Rob Bell has a write up on his site - worth a read.

Next!

fecae2000 said:
what is the difference between my mgf 120bhp 1.8i and the tf 1.8i 135bhp???

is it all throttle body's like the rovers 85psi and 105psi????
  • MGF Trophy 160 induction system (vast improvement over old MGF set up)
  • MGF Trophy 160 (52mm) throttle body
  • VVC alloy inlet plenum and manifold
  • Hotter cams
  • ECU tweaks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts