MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my mgf for 3yrs now, got it with only 5k miles on the clock and its truly in mint condition, even though it suffered hgf while still owned by mgr.

I love my car but i no longer think its fast and am wondering if there's much difference between the vvc and the 160. if its marginal i won't bother but if its noticeable i may be interested.....?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, care to explain more? i should've said i have already filled a k&n induction kit 18months ago which is supposed to add appox 10-15bhp so would i see any improvment at all in going for the 160?

·
Registered
cityrover
1,603 Posts
The Trophy / TF160 has a peak power of 160PS, and a 0-60MPH of 6.9 seconds.

The MGF VVC has a peak power of 145PS, and a 0-60MPH of 7.0 secs

(figures taken from HERE )

So actual performance wise, not much difference by the numbers.
The induction side of things is where the power increase is made - MGR actually spent some money on research, and managed to give an extra 15 BPH. But this is eaten up by the car been heavier, hence only a very slight increase in acceleration/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so by fitting the k&n induction kit there wouldn't be any improvment then other than better brakes and stiffer suspension?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
jetski said:
I've had my mgf for 3yrs now, got it with only 5k miles on the clock and its truly in mint condition, even though it suffered hgf while still owned by mgr.

I love my car but i no longer think its fast and am wondering if there's much difference between the vvc and the 160. if its marginal i won't bother but if its noticeable i may be interested.....?
:idea: I would suggest best way to find out jetski is to take a 160 for a test drive... F and TF's do handle considerably differently in standard set-ups

·
Registered
cityrover
1,603 Posts
In all intents a purposes, you are as quick as a trophy / TF160, but just a couple MPH on the top end off the mark.

Nothing really to be worried about (in my Honest opinion)

By changing the Induction system that you currently have, to a K&N may improve the mid range response of the car, but you will almost be garrenteed an improved sound from the car.

The site I pointed to in the last post, has an awful lot of info on turning an 'F and is well worth the time looking. If your question is answered there... then worry :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It really depends on what 160 you are talking about. The early trophy ones had modified Janspeed heads from the factory. The later ones were more ECU trickery and went back to the cheaper standard VVC head.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If yours is a VVC then to improve the performance , without lifting the head, a decent induction kit, one with a enclosed filter and cold air feed. A 4-2-1 manifold and a 52mm tb should give you the extra edge. The heads on the Trophy/160 just had revised valve angles,no porting, and were never a Janspeed supply to the production line. The inlet manifold on the Trophy will not give you any gain over the stock VVC unit.

If you have a 1.8i then without reworking the head (bigger inlet valves)you will struggle to get sufficient power gains to match the Trophy, just bolting on a VVC inlet plenum will have a reverse effect on power gains as it will not match the ports on a 1.8i head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts