MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Rover_King said:
As the title says Whats the difference between air con and climate control?
Air con doesn't regulate the temporature, just provides cold air. Climate control allows you to set a temporature (eg 19 degrees) and it'll stick to it by regulating heat, air conditioning and the air flow.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simongittus said:
Air con doesn't regulate the temporature, just provides cold air. Climate control allows you to set a temporature (eg 19 degrees) and it'll stick to it by regulating heat, air conditioning and the air flow.
Oh rite. So with climate control is the air conditioning allways on or does it depend on the temperature set?

Like yesterday I was in my friends c180 and the air con light was on but it wasn't cold air coming out of the vents.

·
Registered
cityrover
4,366 Posts
Agree with the comments above..re the difference...it works well in a ZTT...shame the Freelander doesn't have it!

I'm amazed how well the econ button worked as long as the outside air was less than the temp in the car.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Climate control doesn't automatically have dual zone climate - the climate control in the 45/ZS is single zone.

A/C doesn't have to be cold air, it can be warm air too.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
I think generally air conditioning as provided with the big rectangular button in MGs/Rovers blows cold air only. That was my experience in the Mk1 ZS.

When you are too cold, you turn it off yourself.

One big difference between Mk1 and Mk2 ZS 180s is that the Mk2 has climate control. On this you set a temperature and it keeps to it. It controls the heating too.

So it was at 18 deg C recently and was blowing hot air from the heater one weekend cos it was colder outside. By the Wednesday (24 deg) the same unit was blowing cold air! Without resetting!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
patpending said:
I think generally air conditioning as provided with the big rectangular button in MGs/Rovers blows cold air only. That was my experience in the Mk1 ZS.
Not necessarily, if the a/c button is engaged and temperature knob is turned to red the air is still conditioned (cleaned, purified, dehimidified) although not chilled.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
im wrong then, thought you could adjust between sides with all c/c's.

proper answer-

With a climate control system (which will control the air conditioning and heating), typically you set the temperature that you would like the interior to be, and the computer achieves this as quickly as possible by deciding from which vents to blow air, and at what speed, ie. the process is automatically controlled. For those vehicles without climate control, you can do everything yourself that such a system would do, changing the air temperature, speed and directional controls, allowing you as much control as you require. Additionally, with this sort of set-up, there is much less to go wrong.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
David Lee Newsham said:
Not necessarily, if the a/c button is engaged and temperature knob is turned to red the air is still conditioned (cleaned, purified, dehimidified) although not chilled.
OK, I stand corrected.

I suppose in that case it's not using the compressor then (or perhaps heating the output from the compressor?). As you may guess, I don't actually know.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So have I now got this right:

Conditioned air means the air is dehumidified, purified and free from dust and pollen. This can either be chilled air by turning the tempreture nob to cold (I guess what most people do) or warm air by turning the tempreture nob to hot. You adjust the speed manually with the speed control nob.

Climate control you set a specific temperature that you want the interior to be, and it automaticly adjusts and keeps to this temperature.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rover_King said:
So have I now got this right:

Conditioned air means the air is dehumidified, purified and free from dust and pollen. This can either be chilled air by turning the tempreture nob to cold (I guess what most people do) or warm air by turning the tempreture nob to hot. You adjust the speed manually with the speed control nob.

Climate control you set a specific temperature that you want the interior to be, and it automaticly adjusts and keeps to this temperature.
Yeah just about that. Basically Climate control is the automatic use of the air conditioning system.
Compressor runs when it needs to be cooled down, but doesnt when it needs heating up. But in both cases its still sent through the system and is filter etc.....I think.
Ive just cobbled that together from whats been said and what i knew before.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Samuel said:
Yeah just about that. Basically Climate control is the automatic use of the air conditioning system.
Compressor runs when it needs to be cooled down, but doesnt when it needs heating up. But in both cases its still sent through the system and is filter etc.....I think.
Ive just cobbled that together from whats been said and what i knew before.
Yeah I understand now. Just one of those things that ive allways wondered about.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Basically if you have standard Air Conditioning or Climate Control the best advice is to leave it on at ALL times as this keeps the system in tip-top condition and provides a better, healthier environment inside the vehicle.

For those who worry about the negative effect of A/C or Climate Control on fuel consumption, remember that the use of anything electrical (stereo, headlamps, heated screens) or driving with a window/sunroof open has the same effect (if not worse) on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David Lee Newsham said:
For those who worry about the negative effect of A/C or Climate Control on fuel consumption, remember that the use of anything electrical (stereo, headlamps, heated screens) has the same effect (if not worse) on fuel consumption.
Really????

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Im sure the tests showed that its more fuel efficient to actually have the window down. The drain caused by any other system on board your car are small in comparison to that which AC causes.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
markeeboy said:
Is that totally true or is that an assumption?
Well basically it depends on the car, and the speed, and to what degree the air con is on at.
For example at under 50mph it might be better to have window open, but above that, the AC might be better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts