MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to know if any one out there has carried out the now famous air intake modification that Simonarius has done recently, where he cut off the trunking to just the end of the corrugated part.
Specifically if any one has done this to a 116bhp diesel WITH OUT any other mod especially a Rover Ron mod. If so what effect has it made to the overall performance of the car, does it rev past the 3000-3500rpm mark.
thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Zappas,
Just like to point out that my car had no other mod done..It was purely the air intake mod and nothing else.
I must repeat what I have allready said..The mod gets better as the miles mount up. Yes there is an immediate improvement but the ECU seems to learn as time goes on and it really does get better.

Again as I have said before, if you are nervous about cutting the trunking then do as I initially did and remove the trunking totally and drive around for a few weeks without it. You will still have the air filter so you wont do any damage.

When I did this, it became apparent very quickly that there was quite an improvement.

Hope this eases your mind about doing the mod.

Simon

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I do have a Ron box, and I've done various other mods inc intake mk2, and it's a different car from the one I bought.

However, just a thought - if you cut a bit more off the intake, ie not at the bellows bit, it would be considerably easier to replace it if you were not happy with all the improvement the mod will surely give.

When I did mine, my only slight misgiving was that as I was cutting through the bellows to leave a "trumpet" mouth, it was a bit final, as I wouldn't be able to replace it easily.

But I needn't have worried, (1) because I don't want to replace it and (2) there's always a breakers where I reckon I'd be able to get a replacement.

I'm still trying to work out how to remove the splash guard without taking the bumper and slam panel off! Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

malcolm

·
Registered
rover_75
131 Posts
Zappas - cant help with your question, mine had the upsolute remap before I did the mod, but it definately faster now, and rev's easy past 4500rpm, although I dont drive it like that, I just like the extra torque that pushes you back in the seat when I squeeze the accelerator....have to drive with one hand over my mouth to hide the smile now...

Baxlin - I removed my splash guard as follows -

removed front Grill - (2 screws on top)

Grasp splash guard firmly with both hands, push forwards and backwards
as far as possible, after a while you will feel it loosen, keep going,
it will come off in your hands. Incidently mine never broke the weld,
it seemed to pull over the rivets.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Baxlin - I removed my splash guard as follows -

removed front Grill - (2 screws on top)

Grasp splash guard firmly with both hands, push forwards and backwards
as far as possible, after a while you will feel it loosen, keep going,
it will come off in your hands. Incidently mine never broke the weld,
it seemed to pull over the rivets.

hope this helps.
Ah - the subtle method, thanks!!:bgrin2:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I did the mod to my CDT [ not i ] and yes it does just as Simonarius says.
Have left the slash guard in place and made a new ali inlet inplace of the bit i cut off. I also now add Millers to the fuel in a hope to protect the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I did the mod to my CDT [ not i ] and yes it does just as Simonarius says.
Have left the slash guard in place and made a new ali inlet inplace of the bit i cut off. I also now add Millers to the fuel in a hope to protect the fuel pumps.
Any chance of a pic or two, pete?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I did this mod but I can't say I have noticed any difference at all as the earlier mk1 mod of cutting the bottom mouth of the inlet right back creates almost the same size aperture for airflow

It probably is much more noticeable going from the standard restrictive opening to the cut back MK2 version

But the mod I did may be masked as I also at the same time cleaned my PCV and EGR valves

The three changes together have completely eliminated the Smoke I was getting with the Synergy on its more powerful settings and that was what I hoped to achieve.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
Complete Idiot's Guide?

I think I'll have a go at this intake mod at the weekend. I'm not that technically savvy, though, so it would help me if someone could jot down a step by step guide to the latest thinking on how to:

a) Remove the front of the intake from the slam panel. (Non-releasing bolts and all).

b) Identify and subsequently remove the splash guard which everyone is talking about.

I am presuming that at this point I can just cut the air intake at the point shown in Simonarius' photo (would a stanley knife do the job?).

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
451 Posts
I used a wood saw to cut mine off, took about 10 seconds, I dont think a stanley is up to it. car certainly runs better since I did it..!
I presume the 10 seconds does not include removing the front bit that remains attached to the slam panel, and removing the splash guard? If it does, you're the kind of person I want charging me by the hour for garage work :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I presume the 10 seconds does not include removing the front bit that remains attached to the slam panel, and removing the splash guard? If it does, you're the kind of person I want charging me by the hour for garage work :)
Sorry Im not that clever...just cutting the pipe took 10 seconds..everything else took about 10 mins..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Question for Simonarius, or some other brave soul!

Just had the grille off mine, to remove the splash guard (my fingers gave up before the metal, so I'll try again at the weekend), and to get a better grip I removed the 2 plastic/rubber mouldings, one either end of the grille aperture.

Q - As these seem to reduce the effective grille opening by about 50%, what are they there for? There's really only the horns and the fan behind, so would it improve things further to leave them off? OK maybe more water may get in, but there's a socking great radiator to stop most of it.

I'm not brave or tekky enough to work out if (a) it would help, or (b) it would cause damage.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA
Malcolm

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think once the air intake is cut down there is no need to get rid of the splash guard as there will be plenty of air going to the inlet...I havent broke my splash guard off yet and the car seems better with just the air inlet cut down.!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi,
I must say I never dreamed of the turmoil and stress I would cause when I first did this mod and then told the forum about my findings.
My R75 is a face lift model so I removed the splash guard from the engine side of the slam panel. I gipped as well as I could and bent it back and forth as far as was possible until the spot welds gave up thier grip.
The reason I did this was that if you look at the intake area under the slam panel when its minus the splash guard you will see that its reasonably uncluttered. My reasoning was that when on the move there would be a cooler stream of air entering under the bonnet in the area of the modified intake which is only about 5 or 6" away from the splash guard intake area.
In all the time my car has been modified it never misbehaved once and I can truthfully say I have not had no problems whatsoever.

Go ahead...Make her day.. Let her breath !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts