MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1 yr old MGTF 115 (1.6) on Saturday for £11.5k with metallic paint, cd player, alarm and 8k on the clock..

As bought at a car supermarket I kinda assumed it was a good price but since looking on autotrader today I've seen that they can go for up to £2k less!!

I'm a little sad as I thought it was a 160 until checking today as well....

Bought on impulse so these 'smaller' (?) details weren't entirely checked at the time!!

What are your thoughts - good price or not??

·
Registered
mg_zt
225 Posts
Dont know about the price, but if I bought it thinking it was a 160 and it turned out to be a 115 Id be a little upset

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am....but I saw it on the Friday and collected (in a rush) on the Saturday so maybe it's my fault for letting my heart overule my head and not asking more questions...but they didn't really offer much information.

Also, because it was being used as a company car all the paperwork is at their Head Office. And as I collected so soon they are having to post said paperwork to me, so I don't have the log book, the manual - nothing!!

Now the intial excitement has worn off I am beginning to feel a little silly...:O

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
it does seem a little expensive but......

do you love your car? if you answer yes, what does it matter? deal is done get on with loving your car!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do really love the car that's why I can handle the fact that it's aslightly lower spec that I had thought initially.

However, it's a lot more than I intended to spend initially so the fee bothers me as I don't want to end up losing too much money. Just found this on the Parkers website:

MG TF
1.6 16v (115ps) 2d 2003/03
Insurance Group 11 (get a quote) Average mileage: 10,000 miles Cost New ('03) £ 15750Franchised Dealer £ 9815Independent Dealer £ 9405Private Good £ 8990Private Poor £ 7340Part Exchange £ 8330
I paid £11500 so this worries me!!! Although it's a 2003 plate, apparently it wasn't registered until 2004...and they are classing it as only 1 year old....

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If it has got an 03 plate, then this is when it was registered and is therefore not an 04 car and cannot be claimed to be. They may well of pre-reg'd it on an 03 and not sold it until 04, but this does not change the fact it is an 03 car and is all you will be able to sell it as.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
there is a massive difference between the cars. but i dont think they will let you take it back cos of an impulce buy tbh. no offence but did you not look up the car before you bought it? liek done some research into what options etc are available?

you could prob get a 2 year year old tf160 for about the price you paid (well you can round my end) so you have paid over the odds, but i really dont see what you can do about it. the deal is done. i feel for you i really do i no what its like when you feel you have been ripped off and everyones bought soemthing without thinking about it (i know i have) youll just not ever do it again!

the only way i see the car going back is if they have said it was a 160 and have given you a 115. i cant see 'i changed my mind' working.

sorry if im the barer of bad news, but remember your car has pros as well as teh cons - for instance your insurance will be a fraction of the cost! try going out in your car to cheer you up, i know it will definatly make you feel better

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
if they said it was registered in 04 id use that as your excuse to take it back! cos if like stu says it has a 03 plate then its been registered in 03. im sure thats a big enuf reason to take it back. its false info about teh car. i still think youll have huge problems taking it back tho

edited: fyi a quick look on autotrader

2002 02 Reg M.G. TF 1796 cc tf 160,
2 Doors, Manual, convertible, Petrol, 14,200 miles, Blue, ABS, Anti theft protection, Alloy wheels, Power steering, CD player, Central locking, Electric front windows, Special paint, Revolution counter, Exterior mirror heated. full leather. £9,994.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I know is that on the paperwork I signed it gives the registered date as 2004 but the plate is an 03. I did query this at the time and can't bl**dy remember what he said!

TBH I went in looking to receive £3k for my car and only looking to purchase up to £8k. But they only offered me half the price for part ex on my car so I was prepared to leave and sell privately. Then he said he could do me the newer car (which I ended up buying) for a monthly fee which fitted my budget and then a balloon payment after 18 months and I could then sell the car or part ex it at that time...he said that the only way I'd end up owing money at the end of the 18 months is if I prang the car or run up excess mileage...
But because I ended up with a lot more than I expected, I was too excited to query anything..!!

You're right - as soon as i'm in the car I shall forget all about it but am sitting at work feeling like a right pillock with the raving hump!!

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
ok so you have a copy of your paperwork? which states your car is on a 03 plate but was first registered 04? thats not even possible? its not an import or anything is it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it's not an import...is strange tho isn't it.

I know they're definitely trying to pull it off as an 04 though because it's only had 1 service and I p/work says registered Feb 04...

Just text the other half to see if he can remember what reason they gave for it....

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
well mines only had one service and its a 03 plate, that dosnt prove anything, my next service isnt due until june/july. give them a ring and find out where you stand, ask directly if the car is a 03 or 04 regsitered car. did you get any kind of warrenty or anything with the car? other than that im not sure what else you can do tbh.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He said there was a 3 year warranty with the car so I'll be covered for the next 18 months...

I'm going to call this afternoon I think and ask him again...

I really appreciate all your help. Thank-you

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
It does all sound a bit weird to me, if you are def not happy then really try and use this as your way out. It is horrible when something like this happens cos it does slightly spoil your enjoyment cos its always at the back of your mind.

Welcome to the mad house btw!!:hyper:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just heard back from the other half...apparently this query with the 03/04 thing is that jan and feb are an 03 plate and remainder of year becomes 04....

I'm waiting for them to fax me a copy of the agreement I signed so will see!!

Sounds like he was trying to fob me off??

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i think from march onwards is when the plate changes over? does your car have a 03 plate or a 53 plate? if you bought it in feb it should have a 53 if im counting correctly? mines a 03 from june therefor a 54 reg would take effect september (i think) then it would change to 04 in march 04. does that make sense??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts