MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get the name of what should be Overhill Road* and found the detailed (1:25 000, sub-1-inch) map of the factory is not far off the current size, with neither the derelict buildings downhill to the N of MG Birmingham nor the former East Works (now demolished) showing...

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=40...archp=ids.srf&dn=731&ax=400610&ay=276610&lm=0

Is the map from the 1930s and these were subsequent?

*Low Hill Lane. Sounds like you could do an advert about an eco factory opposite a field with all trees and grass and that... ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
They've taken an ANCIENT map and deleted a few buildings, but it's still not right. Obviously this map pre-dates the building of the Power Building (next to the old Dalmuir Building) because it's not there. Also missing is the building between CAB1 and the Kremlin. And the old Paintshop A and Dalmuir Buildings are shown as still there when both have been demolished, and even the old multi-level carparl demolished under MG Rover is shown still standing. Shave off the old Paintshop and Dalmuir and it's right for the site size though.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,478 Posts
I can assure it is not an ancient map. It is basically the current Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:25000 map, and they are not always exactly precise in small details.

Note that it still shows the New West Works (which was built around 1978), but not the Old West Works (just the outline of the site it stood on) which was built around 1916. The Old West Works was flattened in 2006, but the New West Works was not demolished until early 2008 (the office block along Lickey Road was knocked down at around the same time).

Have a look at the 1:2500 version and compare it with the most recent Google Earth image (April 2007) ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
My point still stands that it shows the multi-level carpark, demolished in about 2001 and doesn't show Cell 7 (or whatever it was called) which I believe was built in the 70s.

Even if it is the current ordnance survey all they have done is rub out some old buildings from the previous one, and the one before that..... and they haven't got it all right.

If you have a look at the Google Earth image you will see exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My point still stands that it shows the multi-level carpark, demolished in about 2001 and doesn't show Cell 7 (or whatever it was called) which I believe was built in the 70s.

Even if it is the current ordnance survey all they have done is rub out some old buildings from the previous one, and the one before that..... and they haven't got it all right.

If you have a look at the Google Earth image you will see exactly what I mean.
The 1:25000 maps are often based on quite old surveys which prompted the question. I was surprised not to find the East Works there TBH...

·
Registered
9,478 Posts

Even if it is the current ordnance survey all they have done is rub out some old buildings from the previous one, and the one before that..... and they haven't got it all right
Quite so, but I think you have perhaps missed my point - at the 1:25000 scale the detail and accuracy are often not 100%. It is frequently the case that individual buildings are not always shown. The point was that the map in question is not sufficiently large scale and detailed to draw any historical conclusion from.

The fact that the New West Works is present, but the Old West Works is no longer marked as a building indicates that Old West Works and the spaces relating to North Works and East works have been updated recently (i.e. since demolition - note the Effluent Plant and North Power House (?) are still marked - they are still there on the 2007 Google Earth view) and the missing Cell 6 and still marked car park simply indicate the map is nonetheless inaccurate.

If you click the smallest zoom button to the right of the map at the bottom and look at the detailed 1:2500 map, it is identical with the 2007 Google Earth view.

In answer to patpendings original question; whilst obviously based on an old survey, the 1:250000 map has certainly been partly updated (probably several times over the years), and is inaccurate so it is difficult to draw any meaningful historical conclusions from it.

You would need to source the actual maps published at the time of each revision.

I expect you already have a link to austinmemories.com, but if not, you will find a lot of information on when various parts of the plant were built or extended on this page http://www.austinmemories.com/page24/page24.html

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expect you already have a link to austinmemories.com, but if not, you will find a lot of information on when various parts of the plant were built or extended on this page http://www.austinmemories.com/page24/page24.html
How very interesting!

So East Works was only started in 1936. Wish I'd read that before I went there.

I note the Austin Motor Co. Ltd. was registered on 26th June 1905 - that's 105 years this week!

White & Pike spent £105k on their factory in 1893, it closed down in 1901 and they sold the whole site in 1905 for £7,500! Makes Manganese Bronze look like an investment! ;)

Am I right to say that all the original Austin operations at South Works were downhill, and to the N, of the MG Motors factory?

The recently-named perimeter roads are a sort of oval or circle - did they use to be the perimeter of an airfield?

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I note the Austin Motor Co. Ltd. was registered on 26th June 1905 - that's 105 years this week!
It would be if 105 years old this week if it hadn't been put to death last week :(

Name & Registered Office:
THE AUSTIN MOTOR COMPANY LIMITED
SUITE 14 BEECHFIELD HOUSE
WINTERTON WAY
MACCLESFIELD
CHESHIRE
SK11 0LP
Company No. 02420291

Date of Incorporation: 06/09/1989

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Is the Date of Incorporation correct?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The recently-named perimeter roads are a sort of oval or circle - did they use to be the perimeter of an airfield?
I might have got this wrong, but I think it was once a hill and was levelled during WWII. This from http://www.austinmemories.com/page42/page42.html (sorry about the colour!)

Attached to South Works was a hill called Cofton Hill this was levelled off giving an area of seventy three acres. The airfield was laid out like spokes of a wheel, with runways pointing in different directions connected by a perimeter road. This was a brilliant design as planes were able to take off what ever the wind direction

·
Registered
36,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would explain the sudden earthworks beyond the perimeter. It is certainly downhill from MG Birmingham to anywhere else...

·
Registered
cityrover
7,559 Posts
I might have got this wrong, but I think it was once a hill and was levelled during WWII. This from http://www.austinmemories.com/page42/page42.html (sorry about the colour!)
very interesting website. What i want to know is, is longbridge still big enough for MG to make cars from scratch not just a ckd because when i look whats left of it in pics on the internet it just dosen't look big enough

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
very interesting website. What i want to know is, is longbridge still big enough for MG to make cars from scratch not just a ckd because when i look whats left of it in pics on the internet it just dosen't look big enough
I would think it probably is, although whether they actually will is another matter.

The site that remains is comparable to many other car plants. It should be realised that the Longbridge site at it's peak was absolutely huge.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
What i want to know is, is longbridge still big enough for MG to make cars from scratch not just a ckd because when i look whats left of it in pics on the internet it just dosen't look big enough
The whole Longbridge plant was over 400 acres, and MG Motor now lease a little over 105 acres. It was at one time the largest car plant in the world, employed a workforce of 22000 and produced 350000 cars a year.

In the latter 'MG-Rover' days they were making 3 different basic cars at Longbridge, including body assembly and engine/gearbox manufacturing, plus final asembly of the TF.

I think (someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong :dddc:), of the areas that MG Motor no longer have, only the East Works (Powertrain; engines and gearboxes) and the Old West Works (body-in-white) were actually used.

A large part of the North Works had already been demolished by BMW in preparation for the building of a plant to house new body panel pressing equipment (which in the event got installed at Solihull instead :eyes:)

I think the New West Works had only been used for storage since production of the Rover 100 had ended.

In the South Works, CAB B was unused during MG Rover days as BMW had cleared it ready for the new MINI assembly line (which of course ended up at Cowley :irked:)

Of the parts that MG still lease, CAB B is still vacant I think, and there is space in CAB A from where the 25/45 line was removed (was the old Mini line in CAB B too; if so there is presumably that area too)

Do MG Motor still lease Paint Shop A ? If they do, that is another empty area.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
Do MG Motor still lease Paint Shop A ? If they do, that is another empty area.
See my earlier post - it was demolished quite some time ago.

And the old Paintshop A and Dalmuir Buildings are shown as still there when both have been demolished
MG leases only that wartime airfield section of the site, plus the flight shed. But even half of this is currently not used - including all of CAB2 (used for storage under MG Rover - currently empty), Paintshop B (25/45/TF paintshop under MG Rover, currently mothballed), Cell 6 (offtrack correction building if I recall - currently unused)

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I did refer to the paintshop A 'area' ;)

It (and the bare area to the east of it) were part of the original 105 acres which MG Motor had leased, but there was talk of it being surplus to their needs a couple of years ago and that they may hand it back to St Modwen. I couldn't find any specific confirmation as to whether they still had that area or not, hence the question.

As you say, there is bags of empty space at present.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
...i've put you all forward with Downing Street as fine observers of terrain and photo observation,this is in case they need a team to observe and identify enemy targets from aerial surveillance in times of conflict lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts