MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
Well, as a secondhand 1.8T Conn SE Tourer buyer that makes me feel better. Paid £6,750 for it in Feb with 15,000 miles on the clock, only about £500 more than its current trade in value. The dealer had had it on their books for ages, originally for sale at £15,000... :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you look in the Parkers' used car price guide, they claim that the V8 is the worst car to get from a depreciation point of view across the range.....

If you then look at the actual depreciation figures they publish, it's one of the best!! Methinks some lazy copy writer hasn't done an update since MGR went under! Mine would've been £30k-ish new in 2003, and is now worth around £13k after 3 years. For the type of car it is, this probably actually wouldn't have been a bad figure if the company was still in business!

It is easy to compare to rock solid residuals on some of the big Germans and get very upset, but if you compare to, say, an equivalent Alfa, then you get a very different view.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Having bought mine 3 months before the closure of MGR at a discount of 8.5K on the then list price, and being of a mind to keep it for at least 10 years at which time it wil be worth about 39/11d I am quite happy. :) If I manage to keep it for a further 5 years after that the likelyhood of my still being alive is probably quite slim and so will I care. Not a jot. [/smug mode] :)

MM

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
mmcomputing said:
Having bought mine 3 months before the closure of MGR at a discount of 8.5K on the then list price, and being of a mind to keep it for at least 10 years at which time it wil be worth about 39/11d I am quite happy. :) If I manage to keep it for a further 5 years after that the likelyhood of my still being alive is probably quite slim and so will I care. Not a jot. [/smug mode] :)

MM
exactly, I've bought mine with the intentions of running it until it becomes uneconomical to repair. so I'd hope for at least 10 years out of it!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doh I forgot the £1 on the front, that will teach me for trying to be a quick draw smart .........

I was thinking of that stupid £1.99 advert on the telly as I typed as well!

fixed it now anyway so what you on about, me get something as simple a hexidecimal to binary wrong, never
:)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
Doh I forgot the £1 on the front, that will teach me for trying to be a quick draw smart .........

I was thinking of that stupid £1.99 advert on the telly as I typed as well!

fixed it now anyway so what you on about, me get something as simple a hexidecimal to binary wrong, never
:)
Hex to Binary I see you like the simple things in life. :rotflmao:

Can't fix the quote in my post though, only I or a mod can do that ner ner, ner, ner ner. :rotflmao:
MM

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mmcomputing said:
Hex to Binary I see you like the simple things in life.
MM
As part of my earlier life I used to test and fault find all the stores cards (prom cards in modern speak) for the WPU (Weapons programming Unit) in the Panavia Tornado against Paper Tape, I used to be able to read the tapes in seconds and translate that in my head to a particular address pin on one of the hundreds of surface mounted devices

Often just a dry joint but sometimes the tracks on the twelve layer boards would have an internal fault then it was out with the drill and a bit of rewiring!

That was of course in the days when electronics were real magical physical components and you could poke about with scopes TFAs and data analysers not like today where it is all one chip and a few external caps dead boring!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts