MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drove past what use to be body in white today and there are warning signs all over the area warning of demolition. I asked a local while at work and they said that that part of the factory is going to be pulled down asap.
To make way for the new tec park, housing and shops. What a waste to what was the worlds best car manufacter!

·
Registered
rover_800
309 Posts
G8 NKB said:
drove past what use to be body in white today and there are warning signs all over the area warning of demolition. I asked a local while at work and they said that that part of the factory is going to be pulled down asap.
To make way for the new tec park, housing and shops. What a waste to what was the worlds best car manufacter!
It was a Toyota factory?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Demolishing that place should be easy. Either:

• Get Iain Paisley to shout at it from a distance of 100 metres
  • Stand within ten paces of it and fart and sneeze at the same time
Honestly, I can't see how it has stayed up as long as it has. Anything more than a light breeze and the whole thing would probably collapse anyhow.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very sad tho to see most of mg rover being turned into a housing estate. Wounder what Austin would say now if he was alive???

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
In fairness, the plan was always to vacate the BIW area anyhow.... well to the very best of my knowledge it was, as it had been hinted at by a now exMGR employee 3 years ago.

Regards

John

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
why on earth can't someone build a Longbridge motor museum for crying out loud, showing off the best to come off the production line?:s2h:
There are plans for such a facility on the new Longbridge site. I think St. Modwen are even on record as saying they propose a museum as part of the redeveloped site.

Regards

John

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
boxwellm said:
Demolishing that place should be easy. Either:
  • Get Iain Paisley to shout at it from a distance of 100 metres
  • Stand within ten paces of it and fart and sneeze at the same time
Honestly, I can't see how it has stayed up as long as it has. Anything more than a light breeze and the whole thing would probably collapse anyhow.
I pass it on the train into Brum and it's in one hell of a state from the back too, as you say, it's amazing how long it has remained standing.

As a side note, all the sidings look to be intact, and with the likely trend of shipping in panels from China, regular railfreight movements from South Wales are a distinct possibility.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Nick Birse said:
I pass it on the train into Brum and it's in one hell of a state from the back too, as you say, it's amazing how long it has remained standing.

As a side note, all the sidings look to be intact, and with the likely trend of shipping in panels from China, regular railfreight movements from South Wales are a distinct possibility.
Yup, on my way down to Worcester a while back, they actually seemed to be doing some work on the sidings and I noticed a shunter parked up behind yellow and black caution tape.

Going off topic, but are the sidings where the original Longbridge passenger station was?

John

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Yup, on my way down to Worcester a while back, they actually seemed to be doing some work on the sidings and I noticed a shunter parked up behind yellow and black caution tape.

Going off topic, but are the sidings where the original Longbridge passenger station was?

John
A quick Google and a play with Google Earth points towards this site with 3 very nice photos. I can place the parcel office on Google Earth but am struggling with the other two photos.

http://www.miac.org.uk/longbridgeold.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts