MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a very studid question, but can one degauss and LCD/TFT flat panel monitor??

When firing up my relatively new Dell PC, I've noticed an area in the top left hand corner that looks a different shade of blue to the rest of the screen.

I don't notice any colour difference on any other screen at the moment, just this login standby screen that is all a light blue sort of colour (except for that corner!!).

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,037 Posts
You can’t degauss a LCD monitor and there is no need to. Any change in colour is a problem with the LC or the lamps.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
My Iiyama (5yrs old or so) is croaking, the screen is getting dimmer, bit like me towards the end of the day....

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,037 Posts
My 2-year-old Iiyama has recently gone pixels up two weeks out of its two-year warranty. I think one of the image processing chips has gone, not impressed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete, the only thing I can see nearby is one of the small Dell speakers that came with the PC.

That is all. Nothing else magnetic anywhere near the screen. Perhaps I ought to contact Dell.........still under warranty.

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
Steve McF said:
Pete, the only thing I can see nearby is one of the small Dell speakers that came with the PC.

That is all. Nothing else magnetic anywhere near the screen. Perhaps I ought to contact Dell.........still under warranty.
hit it, never fails

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Chris T said:
My 2-year-old Iiyama has recently gone pixels up two weeks out of its two-year warranty. I think one of the image processing chips has gone, not impressed.
Are you sure - my Iiyama had a 3yr swap out warranty, same as Bazza's

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dr Dave said:
Are you sure - my Iiyama had a 3yr swap out warranty, same as Bazza's
Mine too... and 4 years down the line they are still brighter, crisper, and better at reproducing colour than any other screen I've used.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I bought a nice 19" Iiyama a few months back. Came with 2 dead pixels (unfortunately within the allowed range) but the screen is fantastic. We had 70 in my last company and not a one of them had a problem which is why I paid extra for the name.

I recall a lecturer telling us that most goods are designed only to last as long as the warranty and that's it's not a myth that things start to gog wrong outside that period. Their thought is why pay more for components that will last years when we can design a product to last a couple of years then get repeat custom! If everything lasted a lifetime, only us geeks would replace things as often. Most people would be content with a 17" screen for years and years yet 19" isn't enough for me any more! The companies would lose money cos their products are so reliable so that's the reason behind out of warranty issues!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I could get a 15v DC mains adapter thingie, eg, the type you get with a voltage selector? I've only seen them go up to 12v. My Dell 1500FP has an AC/DC converter in the base which has gone belly-up, and I'm running it from a 12v feed from the PC PSU, so it's a bit dull.

TIA

Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts