MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Has anyone done the decat without modifying the backbox.

I am still to do my decat even though I've got my nicked exhaust tubing... I'm just wondering what I can expect without the backbox change.

Cheers

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Hi there

Has anyone done the decat without modifying the backbox.

I am still to do my decat even though I've got my nicked exhaust tubing... I'm just wondering what I can expect without the backbox change.

Cheers
Rather than participate in small crime, either buy a de-cat tube from wingy777 or rip the guts out of your own cat.

With either of the 2 methods, you will notice a complete lack of turbo lag.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I did and it's not a big difference. The main area where it improves things is that the low down response (below 2000rpm) is better. It won't give you significant power gains on it's own. The car will feel as if it responds quicker.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Did this too. Pulled strongly from 1900 and revved more like a petrol but it smoked badly 'till it blew all the soot out. Turbo sounded good too, definately less restriction and well worth doing.

Went the "gutted cat" option, BTW

Rik

·
Registered
rover_45
712 Posts
Sounds to me as though the effect of a decat varies from one model to another.

Can only say that 'decatting' the 45 was the best value for money to date.

The turbo positively sings and the acceleration from 60 mph is something I never thought possible from a diesel.

Give it a try - it won't break the bank!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I did mine on the 600. It made it whistle a bit more and let it spool up a little earlier but not that much different. However when I made the back box I had to back off my tuning box a bit as it kept hitting boost cut! For an old derv it now goes pretty well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
wingys de-cat made a big diferance to mine all the way thro the rev range. it made it soooo much more responcive witch i didnt think was possible

mark

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Big differance on mine. It was the first Mod I did and changed the car from a sluggish pig into quite a sporty machine.
Jim

·
Registered
556 Posts
Decat certainly made a difference to my 220SDi, even with the back box remaining standard (for now!).

The car just seems to breathe easier, rev more freely and has a bit more power on both the top and bottom of the range, which my lovely little TU1 box seems to make the most of!

I did have a flat spot higher up the revs which I just couldn't dial out with the TU1 fitted while I still had the cat on, but it now pulls smoothly all through the rev range. Well worth doing, in my opinion! Won't give you a miracle, more make the most of whatever is already there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
me and skelo have had most of the other mods done so i recon that makes a bigger differance. mine pulls like a train from 1500 to 4200rpm now.the only problem is now im tempted in to driveing it abit harder all the time lol

mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
oky i have the 100bhp zr td with a longlife backbox fitted, how much for the de-cat and how much difference should i expect?? also im in mid wales were best place to go for re-map?? if only to 115 map...

deano

1 - 14 of 14 Posts