MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gunna have me cat taken out on friday (no not me pussy cat ) ive bin told that it gives you 15 - 20 bhp more but hey it only gunna cost me £40 all in has any one else taken theres out if so whats the diffrence like

because ive bin told that wat ppl dont realize that the holes in the cat close up and reduce the performance and it needs replaceing every 3 yrs so i thoght idd give it a go

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
whoever told you that is talking complete crap

1-2bhp max, nowhere near 15 even combined with a filter and an exhaust

repsonse improves though

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
15 - 20 maybe on a turbo car but not on a nasp you wont gain anything on a nasp worth the hassel of having to replace it every MOT

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers m8 i its only £40 but its bin running a bit so for a while so will try it what the hell if it dont work

but me m8 had his taken out of his renult clio and it made a diffrence so all i can do is try and this mechanic that is doing it for me is one of the best hess fixed lodes of things on me brothers car and knew what it was straight away so i dunno will try it n let you know

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've seen a decat and backbox 143 VVC make 152 on rollers,
how accurate was the rollers, I think close, mine make 153 ( prev 155 on another set of rollers)
not the 15-20 mentioned but not the 1-2 either !!
mine has 52TB and cat back(but not decatted) std manifold not deburred std filter( new).

both were BRMs, I dont know what car you have though !

comes down to if you got 40 and dont mind spending it - why not, as mentioned if ya dont like sell it !!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If you do the rest of the mods, enclosed induction kit, ported manifold and downpipe, performance cat back exhaust then it will make a difference to the lower end.
It did for me and I think it's part of a net gain as it would have been the only limiting factor in the chain.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Decat makes 0 difference on any of the k4 engines.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
These people who say a de-cat makes 1-2bhp difference, this is not a universal figure! There are loads of factors to consider, and even nasp engines can vary hugely in power figures made with different exhaust systems and changes. What you can say is that normally exhaust systems including cataysts are much more restrictive on larger capacity engines, so it follows that big engines stand to gain far more power from such modifications. A 3.0 Nasp engine will probably gain 2-3times more power from a low restriction sports cat or de-cat, than a small 1.4 engine will!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it a 1.4 . i have an induction kit plans to have a manifold put on to it sraight threw to the back box
i wanted to have it port polished but the bloke who was gunna do it said that it was decreace the space bettween the port and the water pump and have more of a chance of it of heating more

just want a bit more poke out of it until i can save up 4 me turbo engin which wont b 4 a while

well have plans to cam it soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts