MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I test drove loads of mid sized wheezils.

Nissan Primera - harsh, noisy, not very quick, not very spacious. Hhhhmmm

Renault Lagoooooooona - quite liked this, but dealers wouldn't deal and no near new models at a good price. All round fit and finish suspicious and hi tech electrics worrying, as no one in France has ever passed O level physics.

Rover 75 - just too pricy, even the used ones, but by gad was it nice.

Honda Accord. Too pricy and slow, but ultra refined. Plasticky interior reminded me of those flower pots people made in the 1960s by melting down their old '78s. No used ones about.

So, it came down to 3;

Mundano - Tried the TDCi, but not the ST which is well pricy - a very expensive way to save a few quid on fuel! The Mondieu was quick, pin sharp handling, fair sized cabin but the ride was rock hard. I can't affordthe dental work if I ever drove one up a country rode.

Rover 45 - Ah, now were getting closer. Great handling, better than my 400 but I dinnae what they done to achieve that. Ride is nicely plush. Engine felt very meaty but let down by tight leg room and harshness of the dilithium crystals.

Pug 407 HDi - Great performer, well equipped, good handler, great ride, but pug ugly and not that economical at sub 50mpg on the combined cycle.

In the end I stumbled on a gem. It's a '99 V reg 406 HDi 110 but this one owner minter had covered a mere 5400 miles. It looked like it'd just been unwrapped, smelled new and was showing less than 1000 miles between MOTs. Ah, god bless old people. Where else can you get an essentially new car for £4600? Sved my old Dad a wedge and means the P6 stays, for the moment.

The ride is the best of any car I tried. The handling is pin sharp and second only to the Rover 45, but it's not far off and I think the difference is down to the extra girth of the pug. The motor is very smooth, refined and quiet and is on a different level of refinement to the L i'm afrad (although the L still go's a goodun). It isn't the quickest oiler i drove, but isn't the slowest either - a tuning box might help things even more. Over 50mpg on the combined, huge boot, plenty of cabin space, all the toys (inc climate, multi CD, cruise, teasmade) and prettier than the yukky 407. 3 years warranty and a night with Geri Halliwell and I was sold.

Still, had the 75 been a bit cheaper new or used, i'd have chosen one of them. Oh yes siree.

DD.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
It's not a good sign for MGR when a Rover fan tries many different cars, including some rovers, and decides the better car is non-british.

Hardly surprising that non Rover fans are buying foreign stuff really.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the 45 & could've lived with the engine harshness if't just had a bit more legroom.

The used 75s were really a bit silly money and some of them quite high mileage for the age. As nice as they were (very nice actually!) I can't see how the stealers can justify this when a dealer on the same street is selling a fully kitted (apart from leather) 406 with less than five and a half thousand miles under it's belt for a piffling £4600. Sure, i'd rather have a late used 75 but they weren't worth paying over twice as much for. It came down to arithmatic in the end.

DD

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Doesnt' matter what it came down to, the point i was trying to make was that clearly rover are doing things wrong if they can't eveng et a loyal customer to continue buying their products. I am not slating your choice of vehicle, if that's the car you feel is best for your needs then you do right buying it. What i think is a shame is that it's becoming very clear that the rover range is over priced and un-refined in comparison to many of it's competitors.

After all if they were getting things right there would be no way you'd have ended up coming to any conclusion other than that of buying rover, whether this be due to low low prices, reasonable prices with a wide range of toys and/or nice smooth engines (an area i think rover REALLY need to spend some time on).

·
Window Licker
22,048 Posts
I'm saying nothing....my next project car is likely to be bought today....and it's a Pug... :ziplip:

My main car is still the 400 though... ;) :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the L for it's thick creamy high cholestrol power delivery and it's super tough build, but it lost out to every other diesel I tried in the refinement department. Even the Massey Ferguson like Nissan Primera was smoother. I can't help agreeing with you Schtopper that Rover need to pull their finger out on the smoothness department. A few million less spent developing the SV might have been better spent improving what is fundamentally a brilliant motor.

DD.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The engines are definetly MGR's weak point now, even in the ZS where a raspy harsher engine note is desired i find the K series to sound old and tired, especially on the mornings.

Compare the sound of a ZS to a Leon Cupra, Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R and there is no comparison. Admitedly the ZS's sound is aided a bit by that gold ball exhaust but quite often it's engine (from the cabin at least) that you can hear not the exhaust.

The k series is a good engine, it's nice and light (good for handling characteristics), it's quite sporty with a fairly linear torque curve (but not everyone likes having to blast from 4000 revs to 6000 revs to get the most from their engines) and well i've run out of good points lol.

I mean they had perfect opportunity with the SV to say to people 'hey look, this is what we CAN do' and they blew that, the SV is drastically over priced for the level of kit you get and that's a realy shame. In my eyes its a beauty, from the reviews i've read it seems to go like stink and stick to the road pretty damn well, but it's £30K too expensive.

As mentioned it's a trait i feel the 75/ZT suffers from too.

I'm not gonna jump on anyones back for not buying rover cos if i was being totally honest when i get my next car it's very unlikely i'll be buying a MGR.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
At least stick a rover badge on it somewhere you traitor!!!! :irked: :bigeyes: :lol:

You'll be speaking french next :p

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
So ... while DC is busy cooking you 'frog leg du-potage' for dinner in her French maid out fit (formally used for pleasure), you can pass the time by posting on poxy garlic oi-buners.org.

Shame you had to look across the channel for a decent, affordable oil burner DD... but that is capitalism for you... not like we can force you to buy a Rover.

I’ll be staying true to my 400 for at least another year yet… then probably a 75.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Good choice of car, DD

406 HDI 110 in either estate or saloon form is my next choice of car.

They go well and are generally reliable workhorses

Only things to look out for are crankshaft pullies breaking up and rear brake problems.

R

·
0 Posts
Diesel Dick said:
a night with Geri Halliwell and I was sold.
mmmmmmm............nice!

Seriously, despite the awful lack of support from the driver's seat, my mums W reg 406 HDI estate is a fabulous car.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
refined..pug diesel..maybe inside the car but outside they're much noisier then my L series. The only thing rover need to do with the L series to improve refinement is fit more soundproofing!!

traitor

andy

·
Registered
942 Posts
Schtopper said:
Compare the sound of a ZS to a Leon Cupra, Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R and there is no comparison. Admitedly the ZS's sound is aided a bit by that gold ball exhaust but quite often it's engine (from the cabin at least) that you can hear not the exhaust.
Well the Honda engines are wicked, yeah apart from revving the t*ts off them and them sounding horrible! The ST is not quite as bad but is slow and expensive in comparison (and it looks like a normal focus!!) and the Leon is stupidly expensive! My V6 is fantastic and I wouldn't swap it for a VVTi or VTEC etc engine any day, and the leons Turbo well hmm i prefer my 6 cylinders, as do any of my mates who get in the car! They are always well impressed!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
yeah the V6 sounds nice, but i'm stuck with the crappy 1.8 :p

The noisey engine is supposed to be part of the ZS appeal and it works with the V6 better than it does with the other engines, but it's too noisey in the 45. In that sort of car I personally wouldn't really want to hear the engine at all really.

I did go with the 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' approach, figuring if the engine is noisey it might as well sound a bit more meaty and hence i have an induction kit. I now quite like it as it's quiet for normal driving but gives a nice growl when you floor it (put a big smile of my girlfriends little lads face) :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Schtopper said:
Doesnt' matter what it came down to, the point i was trying to make was that clearly rover are doing things wrong if they can't eveng et a loyal customer to continue buying their products. I am not slating your choice of vehicle, if that's the car you feel is best for your needs then you do right buying it. What i think is a shame is that it's becoming very clear that the rover range is over priced and un-refined in comparison to many of it's competitors.

After all if they were getting things right there would be no way you'd have ended up coming to any conclusion other than that of buying rover, whether this be due to low low prices, reasonable prices with a wide range of toys and/or nice smooth engines (an area i think rover REALLY need to spend some time on).
:sad3: True.

Could the 45 have had more leg room if they'd shoved the seats back and taken up a bit more boot space? And they also should have sorted the de-mister out, and the nasty BL era key. I love the overall design, but the make-over really should have adressed these basic concerns. If MGR cant sell one to a dedicated fan.. :eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Schtopper makes a very valid point, I am in the Market for a newer car and I wont be buying MGR, just better stuff about really!

Shame though!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have also go to admit that my next car prob wont be MGR :( prob gonna be SEAT or new Astra tbh but that wont be untill at least 2006

1 - 20 of 34 Posts