MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our ZTT needs some respraying (don't ask - parking incidents and wife taking out fence post) and it got me thinking. The spray shop is bound to have paint left over...

I've always thought that the grey/silver dash finish was a bit dull in our Royal Blue car - and having all those parts resprayed in body colour would be rather nice.

Has anyone done this? What's involved? Would you recommend it?

Cheers

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Hi all,

Our ZTT needs some respraying (don't ask - parking incidents and wife taking out fence post) and it got me thinking. The spray shop is bound to have paint left over...

I've always thought that the grey/silver dash finish was a bit dull in our Royal Blue car - and having all those parts resprayed in body colour would be rather nice.

Cheers
Take a look at http://gallery.xpowerforums.com/showphoto.php/photo/14445/cat/500/page/1

This is a ZT 260 with the dash done in red to match the bodywork. I think it looks absolutely stunning! If anything, yours being slightly less in your face might look even better. I thought about this briefly for mine, but I think Biomorphic Green would just be to much!

Not sure what the cost/time implications of the job would be though.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neil's car is the inspiration behind the idea, I have to confess! But he 'cheated' - he ordered his car with this dashboard as part of the monogram service! ;)

But it is rather lovely, and I think that you're right, with a more subtle colour could look all the better.

I am also trying to persuade the wife that getting the seats re-upholstered with blue-leather centres to match the exterior is also a 'practical child friendly' option! ROFL :lol:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Neil's car is the inspiration behind the idea, I have to confess! But he 'cheated' - he ordered his car with this dashboard as part of the monogram service! ;)

But it is rather lovely, and I think that you're right, with a more subtle colour could look all the better.

I am also trying to persuade the wife that getting the seats re-upholstered with blue-leather centres to match the exterior is also a 'practical child friendly' option! ROFL :lol:
That's why I went for green Alcantara centres, and had them treated with Diamondbrite :bgrin: Well... actually, considering they only ever made about 60 Mk 1 ZT-T V8s, I sort of went for what I could find, but it has turned out to be a very practical option.

Again, for a view of just how outstanding a bright Alcantara inlay can be, take a look at the Rincewind-mobile... http://gallery.xpowerforums.com/showphoto.php/photo/16435

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The red look a bit ott to me but I could live with it on the dash , not sure I like the same paint around the gearstick though, is the paint well lacquered and hardwearing?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick found a brilliant car there didn't he? Yes, I am jealous!

Unfortunately, the ZTT has been bought as the family work horse - a car that we said that we wouldn't spend extra money on. But the ZTT is such a good car, I am very tempted to keep it for a long time - especially as I remain uncertain that I'll be able to find a suitable British replacement (not that keen on the Jag X-type).

Regarding the interior - I had heard that there was excess stock being sold off reasonably cheaply. I certainly wouldn't say no to standard blue alcantara centred seats!

Back to the dashboard question - I guess it is all a question of how easy it is to remove all the grey-painted trim (including the cup holders, ciggie lighter and gear lever gaiter surround)?

Anyone performed a complete dashboard strip down like this? Any instructions on the web anywhere?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Regarding the interior - I had heard that there was excess stock being sold off reasonably cheaply. I certainly wouldn't say no to standard blue alcantara centred seats!
I'm pretty sure it was Andy (Express Valeter) who had a number of these. You could try PMing him. I think he lurks around on here as well as on the Xpower forums!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
For starters look at the thread "clock pics for Christopher" that I did a while ago, the dash in the main just pulls off

For a relatively quick effect something like Solar film (heat shrink plastic) used on model planes could give you an idea of what a fully painted dash will look like

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that Keith - link here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=115097

Looks as though there is a little bit of disassembly to be done - which might sink the plan to get the body shop to undertake the work, as I will probably get the work done in Wiltshire rather than here in London. All my tools are here in London of course, and I am not planning to drive 100 miles without a dashboard fitted! LOL

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Not sure about the airbag cover but you could probably drive the car ok with everything else removed

One thing that put me off the ZT was the sea of black and grey euro plastic but a car and matching dash in some colour such as BRG or Trophy Blue/Yellow would appeal

Red just looks to me like a reminder of what might happen in an accident and we don't want that to happen do we

;)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the dashboard panels literally just prize off Keith? What's the recommended procedure?

I guess the drinks holder and blanking panel are easily released, but what of the 'eyebrow', the ciggie lighter and the gear lever gaiter panel?

Cheers :beer:

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
The eyebrow is held on by two screws revealed when you prise the plastic cover of the underside of the eyebrow.

The cigar lighter front cover is integral with the whole ashtray assembly :eek:

The gear lever gaiter panel just unclips-drag a thin piece of plastic card around the edge to release.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike - great stuff - that'll get me on the way :) The ciggie lighter will be "fun" - I gues a question of thoroughly masking everything up I guess.

Actually, I am begining to think that it might be a good idea to source a complete set of facia panels for a MY2003 ZT - might be easier than mucking about with the ones currently in the car.

Anyone suggest a good source of fascia panels?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Hi all,
Cheers
Hi Rob, Royal Blue was offered as a Monogram Option. Try Roverbreakers.com they may have some orginals?
Hth
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spare dash set

I don't know if they are still there but there was a set of the metalic grey dash panels on Ebay recently.

Like some other people the grey inserts were not quite to my taste. Now I have had the ZT for a couple of weeks I have got used to it. Very nearly went for a 75 for that reason.

I was considering putting veneer on the dash. Rose wood would look good. The black streeks in it might blend with the dark grey or black of the dash top and it would look different from the standard walnut of the 75. Applying veneer to the eyebrow is beyond my ability. So I had considered spraying it satin black to match the radio and air con controls.

As time passes I get used to the plastic dash, my memory of the stone beige and walnut in my 800 vitesse fades and my enthusiasm for the work declines.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Rob Bell said:
Mike - great stuff - that'll get me on the way :) The ciggie lighter will be "fun" - I gues a question of thoroughly masking everything up I guess.

Actually, I am begining to think that it might be a good idea to source a complete set of facia panels for a MY2003 ZT - might be easier than mucking about with the ones currently in the car.

Anyone suggest a good source of fascia panels?
Mike beat me to replying to your previous question, I had to stop for a work break
:)
The panels do pop up on Ebay from time to time I bought a spare Walnut set before I went rattle hunting last year.

I paid about £35 for an almost complete set plus delivery and they turned up with vents and clock included hence the pics I did for Christopher, I haven't actually taken mine off though as in the end I didn't need to

I think I will hang on to them if I had a Primrose Yellow 75 or a Daytona Yellow ZT I think spraying them in the same colour would look well er different at least

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Devon-rover said:
Hi Rob, Royal Blue was offered as a Monogram Option. Try Roverbreakers.com they may have some orginals?
Hth
Cheers
Chris
Good thought there Chris - thanks! Will have to do some investigating - although the difficult bit will be persuading the better half that changing seats is a good idea - were Royal Blue monogram dashes an option?

David, Keith - thanks for the eBay suggestion. Airbag covers could be a problem though, as the SRS symbol changed over the years (or at least, it's different on the ZTT compared to our previous Cowley built R75)?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Now that reminds me, they are a bit more obvious than most.

My mother who is now well past her sell by date, took offence to the Airbag badge in the 75, she thought I was being rude!

I had to walk her past several less obviously labelled cars to convince her it was not something one of her grandchildren has stuck on the car as a joke

When I then explained the explosive nature of the system she decided the back seat was a safer place

Sad realy in the 60's she used to ride shotgun in a Messerschmitt before Dad decided a proper car was needed what with a wife two kids and a dog to cart about

:scary:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts