MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange problem.

My dash lights (ie the speedo and rev counter) lights have stopped working. All the others are working (the clock, oil, heater etc.)

Tried changing the bulbs and turned them around as I'm using LEDs. Nothing.

Any ideas? Tried checking fuses and they're all fine

·
Resident Psycho
mg_tf
1,113 Posts
Are battery and alternator ok, i had this and it was the diodes blown on my alternator robbing the battery of juice, but had just enough power to start up and keep going, does sound more like a fuse blown though.

·
Registered
mg_tf
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dimmer switch a-ok controlling all the other lights fine.

Battery seems to be working fine. Car is running great. The alternator was tightened yesterday at the garage. Called them and they said its probably a fuse. Checked every single one and they all look fine.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I had nothing but trouble with LED's - kept blowing / flickering so gave up and went back to real bulbs instead. no problems since.

Try your old 'proper' bulbs in their place and see if they light up. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the same problem but I was messing with my loose dash cowl to form a refurb plan.
I noticed it was a separate unit at the top I wonder if I unplugged it / broke it when moving it around.
I remember running out of time to put it back together so i probably wasn't too careful. I will sort it tonight
I only mention this in case they messed with yours during the work.

LEDs dim by reducing current not voltage.
I don't know how the dimmer in the car works but if it reduces the voltage then they will not work properly as I understand it. Special dimmable LED lamps are available for household lighting for this reason.

·
Registered
mg_tf
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I give up. No night time driving for me till it gets back to the garage.

How frustrating. Problem after problem with these blinking cars!

·
Registered
mg_tf
18 Posts
Pop round to me in Bromsgrove and we will see if we can work it out
Try the pcb at the back of the speedo...the circuit running from the positive connection at the bulb holder has probably blew out. Happened to me when I tried led's. hope this helps you mate

·
Registered
mg_tf
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try the pcb at the back of the speedo...the circuit running from the positive connection at the bulb holder has probably blew out. Happened to me when I tried led's. hope this helps you mate
Is it an easy fix?

·
Registered
mg_tf
18 Posts
Is it an easy fix?
Best fix is to replace the pcb, it just screws off. Alternatively just bridge the connection with a piece of wire, it's plastic so you can scrape a bit off to reveal the copper and carefully solder it mate

·
Registered
mg_tf
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best fix is to replace the pcb, it just screws off. Alternatively just bridge the connection with a piece of wire, it's plastic so you can scrape a bit off to reveal the copper and carefully solder it mate
Where can I get a replacement pcb? eBay?

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
When faffing with the speedo lights you need to make sure you plug the rheostat back in, make sure the bulb holder with the wires going to the main illumination is fitted properly and all the speedo plugs are fitted nice and snug, mess either one up and they will fail to light. ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
<blush> Oddly,I just discovered that with mine. Lights working now<blush>

I hope that Ceege's is that easy tonight. We have another project to play with as well

1 - 20 of 27 Posts