1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report: Daimler to go it alone after Chrysler deal

Automotive News
May 17, 2007 - 8:00 am

FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- The future Daimler AG will do its best to stay independent once the sale of the Chrysler group goes through, DaimlerChrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche was quoted by the Wall Street Journal.

The paper reported today that Zetsche had said in an interview that the company, to be known as Daimler AG if shareholders approve, probably will not be involved in big deals for other carmakers.

DaimlerChrysler announced on Monday it would sell an 80.1 percent stake in the Chrysler group to private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, unwinding the 1998 merger of Daimler-Benz and Chrysler that never worked out as planned.

Zetsche said the company might seek deals to expand its truck business, especially in the United States or India, the paper reported.
SOURCE: Automotive News

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
But they don't make Daimlers!

So why not Mercedes-Benz AG?

Or Mercedes-Benz Freightliner AG to reflect the truck side?
It's named Daimler because it's the 'true' Daimler car company, the Daimler division of Jaguar was a spinoff of Daimler in Germany...started off as a company that imported Daimler chassis and motors into England, and also owned the rights to market Daimler in England I believe...then the wars came and the links between the two were split.

Daimler of Germany largely didn't name the cars after himself, but after the wife or daughter of either a high ranking client or a high profile importer of Daimler vehicles, that's where the Mercedes name came from, and when Daimler merged with Benz, the cars kept the Mercedes name and had Benz added to the end.

I personally would rather see the corporate name return to being Daimler Benz AG, because I'm used to calling the company that when I'm talking about the company prior to the, now annulled, marriage with Chrysler Corp . Now i have to get used to saying Daimler AG instead of Daimler-Benz AG , Chrysler Holdings LLC instead of Chrysler Corp, and soon we will have Dr Ing. h. c. F Porsche AG become a wholely owned subsidary of what will be the newly formed Porsche Automobil Holdings SE as well thanks to the corporate changes over there

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
You know in this world of mergers and acquisitions I wonder if we will ever see Daimler AG buy Jaguar. It would be interesting to see what they would do with the Daimler brand if they owned it....

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
It's named Daimler because it's the 'true' Daimler car company, the Daimler division of Jaguar was a spinoff of Daimler in Germany...started off as a company that imported Daimler chassis and motors into England, and also owned the rights to market Daimler in England I believe...then the wars came and the links between the two were split.

Daimler of Germany largely didn't name the cars after himself, but after the wife or daughter of either a high ranking client or a high profile importer of Daimler vehicles, that's where the Mercedes name came from, and when Daimler merged with Benz, the cars kept the Mercedes name and had Benz added to the end.

I personally would rather see the corporate name return to being Daimler Benz AG, because I'm used to calling the company that when I'm talking about the company prior to the, now annulled, marriage with Chrysler Corp . Now i have to get used to saying Daimler AG instead of Daimler-Benz AG , Chrysler Holdings LLC instead of Chrysler Corp, and soon we will have Dr Ing. h. c. F Porsche AG become a wholely owned subsidary of what will be the newly formed Porsche Automobil Holdings SE as well thanks to the corporate changes over there
Err not quite. Some bloke called Simms bought a copy of the patent for the internal combustion engine off Herr Daimler before he'd started to sell the cars commercially. He used the Daimler name as a sort of ho,mage to Daimler, but the cars never had any connection to the German Daimler company. There was also an Austrian Daimler compnay (Austro-Daimler).

I think Daimler (UK) has some sort of precedent over Daimler (Gernmany) as a brand name but not sure if it applies to all markets.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Err not quite. Some bloke called Simms bought a copy of the patent for the internal combustion engine off Herr Daimler before he'd started to sell the cars commercially. He used the Daimler name as a sort of ho,mage to Daimler, but the cars never had any connection to the German Daimler company. There was also an Austrian Daimler compnay (Austro-Daimler).

I think Daimler (UK) has some sort of precedent over Daimler (Gernmany) as a brand name but not sure if it applies to all markets.
It's actually kind of a bit of both appearently. A big classic car encyclopaedia (an a reasonably accurate one) of mine says that the first British Daimlers built in Coventry were actually Gottlieb Daimler's designs built under license. So it's not quite an offshoot as I thought, but it did have a licensing connection to Daimler in Germany.

And in certain markets, Jaguar has the ability to produce cars built under the Daimler name. These markets are predominantly Commonwealth countries and also in other parts of South East Asia I believe, but Daimler AG has the rights to the name in mainland Europe and in North America I believe, basically the same places where Jaguar have rights to the Vanden Plas name (which they use instead of Daimler in these places.)

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
By 'bought the patent' I meant the rights to use the engine design, so I guess it was under lisence, but in perpetuity. Simms chose he Daimler name out of respect, and obviouasly didn't register that name in many markets, but I thought the US did have Daimlers in the past. Before merging with Jaguar and BMC Daimler couldn't have used Vanden Plas, which I thought was used an a sub-brand (a 'Ghia'!).

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It's named Daimler because it's the 'true' Daimler car company
I think they're missing a trick by not including the brand name they still use in the company name, particularly with one as valuable as Mercedes. Other companies have subsequently renamed themselves after their brand names, so why not Daimler?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It's actually kind of a bit of both appearently. A big classic car encyclopaedia (an a reasonably accurate one) of mine says that the first British Daimlers built in Coventry were actually Gottlieb Daimler's designs built under license. So it's not quite an offshoot as I thought, but it did have a licensing connection to Daimler in Germany.

And in certain markets, Jaguar has the ability to produce cars built under the Daimler name. These markets are predominantly Commonwealth countries and also in other parts of South East Asia I believe, but Daimler AG has the rights to the name in mainland Europe and in North America I believe, basically the same places where Jaguar have rights to the Vanden Plas name (which they use instead of Daimler in these places.)
Dailmer cars built in the UK can be sold anywhere and indeed still are including Germany:
http://www.daimlercars.com/keycast/daimler/

During the Nineties there was apparant snob value in the name in Europe which I was always surprised Jaguar then Ford didn't exploit. The sudden revival of the name strikes me as a precursor of a Bentley beater in the future. With no Aston in the pack, Dailmer is the most prestigeous marque it has.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
But Daimler could also IMO be volume luxury, if such a thing is possible (it is with Mercedes funnily enough) in a way Jaguar has struggled to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts