MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and the buyer is Cerberus, a financial investor. They pay Euro 5.5 billion for 80.1 percent of Chrysler, Daimler keeps the rest.

So the DaimlerChrysler AG will be the Daimler AG soon once again - the Chrysler episode only costed them about 30 billion...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Oh 30bn is that dollars or Euros... Is that all? I am sure Daimler got good value for money... With um... I am looking forward to the spin...

I only hope they have good British PR people to put the right view out!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more details, Daimler will only make a "profit" of 500m Euro, 5bn will be a capital contribution for Chrysler. Everyone seems to be satisfied with this deal, shows that what they have done some years ago must have been the worst auto business decision that was ever made.

Daimler bought Chrysler for 36bn US$, their overall loss with Chrysler will be even higher.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
If Germany wanted nuclear capability... They would have it. They do not need it.

They have far more real capability with selling BMW's and Mercedes to every corner of the globe, than being able to theoretically atomise every corner of the globe.

It's not a choice between 'naff' car comapnies and nuclear weapons. It's a choice between real power and imaginary power. A choice the Germans have since the war been able to make properly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If Germany wanted nuclear capability... They would have it. They do not need it.

They have far more real capability with selling BMW's and Mercedes to every corner of the globe, than being able to theoretically atomise every corner of the globe.

It's not a choice between 'naff' car comapnies and nuclear weapons. It's a choice between real power and imaginary power. A choice the Germans have since the war been able to make properly.

:URGOD: Blindingly good post there smosquito Sums things up very neatly.

And not just BMWs and Mercedes, it's power stations, chemical refineries, heavy duty stuff like railways...a shame they haven't exported Soziale Marktwirtschaft to us in the UK.

Much better to spend the 20 billion (and the rest) on things the country really needs instead of Trident submarines. We could rebuild our manufacturing industry, mag-lev trains, a space programme...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It was only an example to show just how much they paid for Chrysler!

I am willing to bet everything I have that neither YOU or anyone else on this forum would be seen dead in a Jeep Commander. It's an atrocious car,and I doubt anyone will come on here and defend it.

So surely paying 36 billion dollars for the crap company which makes them is perhaps not the smartest use of money.

Would you really want to own Chrysler? They didn't ,and that's why they got rid of them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
According to papers released after the Cold War finished in the event of an 'incident' Denmark was fingered as first strike for the Soviets...Why? Cos they had no nuclear deterent...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I am willing to bet everything I have that neither YOU or anyone else on this forum would be seen dead in a Jeep Commander. It's an atrocious car,and I doubt anyone will come on here and defend it.

Got 2 1/2 stars on 4car. The Compass got 2 stars! I could build something in my garage that got a better rating! (this also shows why I think LR should NOT go down the road-biased route). I cant see the Patriot doing much better...

So in the entire range they really have one decent car - the 300C - and even that, which I originally loved, I now find vulgar and tacky...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Got 2 1/2 stars on 4car. The Compass got 2 stars! I could build something in my garage that got a better rating! (this also shows why I think LR should NOT go down the road-biased route). I cant see the Patriot doing much better...
Too right ,when a big tank like that can only manage a rating like that it's scary! And it's as tacky and tasteless as hell.

Jeeps are slightly less reliable than Peugeots ,which IMO hardly makes them a 'class' act.

The best thing anyone could do for Chrysler is buy a big padlock for the front door. They really should just call it a day.

Not a good use of 36 billion IMO.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Too right ,when a big tank like that can only manage a rating like that it's scary! And it's as tacky and tasteless as hell.

Jeeps are slightly less reliable than Peugeots ,which IMO hardly makes them a 'class' act.

The best thing anyone could do for Chrysler is buy a big padlock for the front door. They really should just call it a day.

Not a good use of 36 billion IMO.

At least Rover had style...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Something I find interesting is that the Cerberus, the Private equity group buying the 80% of Chrysler, led the consortium that bought a majority stake in GMAC (General Motors Acceptances Corp. iirc), GM's financial division...maybe they'll soon become General Motors & Chrysler Acceptances Corp... GM will be thrilled! LOL!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well I just had a look at the Jeep website. The commander kicks off at a shade under 32 grand. They are also the most unreliable make of car you can buy. I honestly think at times there should be some sort of fashion Police ,to protect the public from poor taste.

I think it's putting it mildly to describe it as a rather 'unattractive' car. In fact it looks like it's been designed by a bunch of marines for use in a war zone. In fact ,and perhaps not for the first time I'm going to make a sweeping statement and describe it as 'rubbish'.

There are loads of good cars from America ,but I'm afraid the Jeep commander sure aint one of them!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
There are loads of good cars from America ,but I'm afraid the Jeep commander sure aint one of them!
Hmmm - beyond exotica and a few Chryslers (300C, PT Cruiser and Voyager) can you really think of any that have succeeded in the UK? And of thsoe that have are any of the even near best in class?

Caddy get trounced every time they put a foot in the market and there is a reason Ford US is struggling and Ford Europe is doing fine...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hmmm - beyond exotica and a few Chryslers (300C, PT Cruiser and Voyager) can you really think of any that have succeeded in the UK? And of thsoe that have are any of the even near best in class?

Caddy get trounced every time they put a foot in the market and there is a reason Ford US is struggling and Ford Europe is doing fine...

They are just stupid. Ford should engineer all their cars over here in Europe.

Otherwise they will run against the wall ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts