MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my uncle dropping off my mums Astra this morning after servicing it, my uncle and my dad where talking about Rover(s) and my dad was asking about parts etc., my uncle said that he is starting to find getting parts very difficult now especially body panels. My uncle also said about how the value of them have slumped since they went under last year. And now my dad is seriously considering trading in his 1998 416S. He doesn't think its anything special and he's not overly happy with it. He says in a way he prefers driving my mums 95 astra 1.4. Now if he had mantained and serviced his Rover then I might understand, but the fact that his Rover has little service history and infact since he's owned it since march 2005 he hasn't serviced it at all. That is what annoys/upsets me.

He says the Astra is smoother. Well its going to be isnt it, its got full vauxhall service history and the Rover has next to none!

Dont know what the point to this thread is really, I just feel that my dad hasn't given the Rover chance to perform at its best because of the little/no mantainance, therefore its given my dad a bad/wrong impression.

I like the Rover and it'll be a shame if he gets rid of it. I want a Rover when im older. But i just cant help, I seem to be losing faith with them.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
I'm afraid to say that both your Dad and Uncle appear far too shot away to recall ...

.... :rotflmao:

Let him get a Vauxhall..... they never go wrong, particularly if you fail to maintain them and every part ever made for any Vauxhall is available immediately off the shelf and in the right colour too. Stands to reason ... no brainer ...

I watch Top Gear so know everything about Motors...

... and I had a Vauxhall once .. it was a Tuesday ...;)

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MGJohn said:
I'm afraid to say that both your Dad and Uncle appear far too shot away to recall ...

.... :rotflmao:

Let him get a Vauxhall..... they never go wrong, particularly if you fail to maintain them and every part ever made for any Vauxhall is available immediately off the shelf and in the right colour too. Stands to reason ... no brainer ...

I watch Top Gear so know everything about Motors...

... and I had a Vauxhall once .. it was a Tuesday ...;)
Thing is I do sort of understand why my dad prefers my mums astra. It is easy to drive and smooth from as soon as you pull away low down the rev range. The Rover isn't like that. But then my mums vauxhall is mantained and my dads Rover is not. He does not mantain any of his cars though. Really annoys me.

In the past he has had old rusty clapped out ford fiestas, sierras and volvos that cost him next to nothing. He does not deserve to have a half decent car because he doesn't look after them. He deserves old rusty fords.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
I can understand where he is coming from.

He isn't impressed with his Rover. I have a 54 MG ZR and am far from impressed. It's reliability and quality has and continues to be shocking. It will be away within about 2 weeks.

I took a big loss on it and would have taken an even bigger loss if that's what it needed to get shot of it.

It may have been a Friday afternoon car I got ? Shouldn't happen.

·
Banned
5,073 Posts
Another thing, my dad was prepared to buy the MG ZR off me when it was only 3 months old and we discussed prices so he would have given me a price I was happy with.

I wouldn't sell it to him and thankfully I never as I would have felt so guilty with the problems I have had with it.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
buy him a bottle of motor oil for his birthday:)
Tell him its cruel to starve his 416!
Good idea - allthough ironicly his birthday was today!

Its not just the oil that needs changing. Obviously its one of the most important things, but it runs roughly as the plugs are a good 3 years old and I wouldnt be surprised if there the original HT leads. Oh and new air filter "what for?" he will say. Fuel filter again "what for?".

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Damen said:

He isn't impressed with his Rover. I have a 54 MG ZR and am far from impressed. It's reliability and quality has and continues to be shocking. It will be away within about 2 weeks.

I took a big loss on it and would have taken an even bigger loss if that's what it needed to get shot of it.

It may have been a Friday afternoon car I got ? Shouldn't happen.
I know it shouldnt happen and its very unfortunate, but it takes place with the vast majority, if not all cars, although there is no doubt it affects some cars more than others, of which it is a more prominent reliability problem - my father now briefly has a mondeo TDCi as his company car, before than he had a Focus TDCi which has been all sorts of trouble - the interior door handles breaking, engine not starting in the cold, water leaks leading to overheating, alternator etc, and the focus is meant to be respectable in the reliability stakes....

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damen said:

That really isn't the problem. Reliability and quality are fantastic really.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Rover_King said:
Good idea - allthough ironicly his birthday was today!

Its not just the oil that needs changing. Obviously its one of the most important things, but it runs roughly as the plugs are a good 3 years old and I wouldnt be surprised if there the original HT leads. Oh and new air filter "what for?" he will say.
take him to Halfords and afterwards give him a tour of a local car dealership tomorrow as a 'treat' :lol:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
take him to Halfords
Do you wanna try!

Another thing is that I dont think he realises that all the power is higher up the rev range, he changes gear to early (probably as thats what he's used to with other cars) so he never really experiances its performance so just presumes its slow.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
he may as well buy a little 1.0 city car - not a preference of course but he will have to work hard to get the most out of an engine....

gives him some practice:)

The man who takes us to forest matches does exactly the same in his 306 1.4.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
he may as well buy a little 1.0 city car then he will have to work hard to get the most out of an engine....
Like another rusty 950cc fiesta. Thats all he deserves. Other people would mantain his Rover. I know that I would for sure - thats probably why I find it annoying/upsetting.

The cambelt is susspected to be overdue, and in some ways (allthough it would destroy the engine) in some ways I sort of wish that it would snap on him just so that it would teach him a lesson. It may sound harsh but thats the only reason, purely to teach him a lesson.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Rover_King said:
My uncle also said about how the value of them have slumped since they went under last year.
Why do people keep saying this 'cos it ain't true.

Yes Glasses trade values are low, but forecourt prices seem to be giving the trade up to 100% markup!!

Don't believe me? Get the Glasses price for a 53-reg 75 Tourer, then go look on http://www.allapprovedcars.com - some of the cars on their are at nearly TWICE the trade price.

Obviously prices are low to SELL an MGR but very high to BUY an MGR.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Rover_King said:
He says in a way he prefers driving my mums 95 astra 1.4.

A family across the road from use trade their Astra 1.4 (not sure of the year but not as old as '95) for a 414 hatch, basically because they were impressed that our Rovers never give trouble and it was a similar shade of red to the MG Montego we had which was always shiney.

They were very impressed with how much better a car the Rover was to the Astra, easier to drive, more room, better ride and a lot more responsive.

Sometimes folk can take a perverse pleasure in driving bangers or not correctly servicing a decent car.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Daytona said:
A family across the road from use trade their Astra 1.4 (not sure of the year but not as old as '95) for a 414 hatch, basically because they were impressed that our Rovers never give trouble and it was a similar shade of red to the MG Montego we had which was always shiney.

They were very impressed with how much better a car the Rover was to the Astra, easier to drive, more room, better ride and a lot more responsive.

Sometimes folk can take a perverse pleasure in driving bangers or not correctly servicing a decent car.
Our old 1993 Rover 214SLi is a lot better than the astra and was smooth from as soon as you pull away low down the rev range. My dads current 416 seems to be very difficult to pull away in, its not smooth at all when pulling away.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Rover_King said:
The cambelt is susspected to be overdue, and in some ways (allthough it would destroy the engine) in some ways I sort of wish that it would snap on him just so that it would teach him a lesson. It may sound harsh but thats the only reason, purely to teach him a lesson.
But he'd just use it as another bit of ammunition to fire at the Rover, it would be another example of the poor reliability....

Why has he had one car properly serviced and not the other? Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Daytona said:
But he'd just use it as another bit of ammunition to fire at the Rover, it would be another example of the poor reliability....

Why has he had one car properly serviced and not the other? Doesn't make sense.
I think if it did snap he probably would realise its his fault. I would certainly tell him it is.

good question. My mum got my uncle (good mechanic) to service her astra, other wise she will complain to my dad untill he gets it done. Now as the Rover 416 is my dads car and he is the only one who uses it we cant make him get it done. My mum realises that it needs servicing but she cant do anything.

I am persauding him not to trade it in, and to service it. And also the simple answer to the shortage of body parts is "dont crash".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts