MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rover 416, Kseries 1.6.

the second cylinder from the left doesn't work right, just changed the spark plugs, it's not the problem.
also the wires leading the spark plugs are new.
I'm having it checked by a garage tomorrow but I wanted to have your opinions first.

I had the engine going off sometimes for a while, and getting trouble starting it. I was thinking it's the Crankshaft sensor but on saturday all of a sudden the engine started shaking, getting very weak and turning off anytime I take my foot of the gas.

what do you think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Take the spark plug out of the No.2 cylinder. It will be black showing that too much fuel is going in causing the engine to choke. I have just spent the last 3 weeks on and off with the same problem. I eventually traced the problem to the Yellow/green wire that works the injector on No.2. It had rubbed throught he insulation and was shorting out intermittently. You will find it at the large multiplug just under the air inlet/accelerator cable. Detach the air filter, remove the plug and turn it over . You hopefully will find that the insulation has worn through. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have seen this problem on another 400 series that I looked at before I bought my present car. The 'dealer' had changed the plugs and leads but it would still only fire on three cylinders. It turned out to be the injector. As jasper says, it could be the electric feed or more likely, corrosion at the base of the injector allowing air to enter the system.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
jasper3055 said:
Take the spark plug out of the No.2 cylinder. It will be black showing that too much fuel is going in causing the engine to choke. I have just spent the last 3 weeks on and off with the same problem. I eventually traced the problem to the Yellow/green wire that works the injector on No.2. It had rubbed throught he insulation and was shorting out intermittently. You will find it at the large multiplug just under the air inlet/accelerator cable. Detach the air filter, remove the plug and turn it over . You hopefully will find that the insulation has worn through. Hope this helps
the problem was present all the time..? or stopped after a while..? did you have it cheack at testbook? if so was there any fault code..?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got the verdict, there's no pressure in that cylinder.. :(
maybe I'm gonna have to change the engine entirely, I'm sick of these problems.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
r0ver said:
just got the verdict, there's no pressure in that cylinder.. :(
maybe I'm gonna have to change the engine entirely, I'm sick of these problems.
Any symptoms of HGF, coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant etc, white smoke from the exhaust etc ?

Could be the head is warped and is the reason your losing compression, the K block doesn't often go wrong so I'd have thought it was a top end problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My problem became apparent when the car heated up. You only noticed it when the car slowed down or sat at traffic lights . When pulling away it would splutter and fart its way along the road but when the speed increased it went away until I had to slow down again.
I traced it to this cable because all other plugs were fine and the car ran o.k.when it got its speed up. If you suspect it might be the same problem then follow the cable up from the lambda sensor to where the other wires go around a heater hose and into the inlet manifold. You will see a big multiplug. Let the car idle and move the cables around. You might find it starts misfiring or if it has been running rough then moving these wires might give an improvement. It ill be a bare wire under the harness where they cross over
I did not have a diagnostic meter but I would think it will show uo as a fault code for the injector circuit. Hope this helps Nickolas.
The problem with this car now seems to indicate a burnt out valve. Does it pop back or spit through the air filter. If so , my bet is a valve especially as you mention that the cylinder has no compression

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
This connector has been mentioned before, it's the one which has the black pull-out section to release the body.

It's only present on the newer MEMS3 vehicles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no it's not a problem with the HG.
one valve is broken, and the piston is in bad shape.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
mine is noticed only at cold start.. i ll have the ingition coil checked/replaced within these days..if there is still no improvement i ll do the "wire" test

1 - 16 of 16 Posts