MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 25iL CVT (The mrs only has a licence for an auto - don't ask!) and had a problem a couple of weeks ago on the way up the M4. I was beaning along quite happily, until I came to pull away in a big queue of traffic - at which point I suddenly had no drive and the whole car started juddering!

I managed to limp it out of the fast lane and onto the hard shoulder, and eventually the RAC came along. However, when Mr RAC jumped in, it ran fine and drove perfectly! He followed me to the services, where he said he suspected overheating in the transmission. We went and had a bite to eat and drove the car home without any further drama.

However, over the last week, I have been beginning to get judders through the car whenever I pull away from standing, and more recently when I accelerate from low speeds.

I suspect it's either the auto clutch or (gulp) the CVT 'box, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? Car's done 68k, if that helps... Any help would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
223 Posts
These CVT boxes are described as "non serviceable parts".

IIRC the only part that can be replaced inside the box is the main bearing, that people have reported to cost them about £400 at a garage.

I don't know enough about them to say whether this could be the problem with yours.

Firstly, I would try getting the oil changed in the box, if it's done 68k it may never have been changed, and recommended intervals are every 25k I think. But beware, the manufacturers of the box (ZF), only recommend specific oil for use in it, so don't let a garage put any old transmission oil in. I think the only available oil to put in is the oil used in the BMW Mini CVT box, which can only be sourced from BMW dealers, and works out quite expensive. A search of the forum will give you more info on it, if you decide to get it changed.

Edit: Some extra info here,
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=116459&highlight=cvt+esso+oil
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=91169&highlight=cvt+esso+oil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts