MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
As you may know i'm in the middle of changing the clutch on the rally car and i have just removed the driveshafts a) to make the job easier and b) to check them. Inner ones feel fine, but the outer ones especially the OS one has quite a lot of play in it, i can rock the top of the joint about 2-3mm side to side and it feels like this is 'slack' or 'play' in the joint. Also the OS one feels a bit dry, no obvious signs of leaks in the gaitors, but i don't know the history of the car and they look like they are OEM ones from new (now done 98k miles and a few events).

Are they OK ? Or would it be best to fit new ones / shafts ? Note : This is err'ing on the side of caution as i do NOT want to break one on an event.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
157 Posts
i can rock the top of the joint about 2-3mm side to side and it feels like this is 'slack' or 'play' in the joint. Also the OS one feels a bit dry
Not sure what you mean by top of the joint, but if you can twist the CV joint against the main driveshaft and there is slack, then yes it's worn. There shouldn't be any play at all.
They only normally wear after a gaiter split (grease out, road grit in etc). I've had ones with over 100k on them and they were perfect.
Definitely worth changing the gaiter on the good one, and replenishing the grease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts