MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been looking at a couple of things and I've had an idea, but I'd love to know if it's a viable system.
I have in my midst an ITG carbon fibre airbox and a Apexi500-A021 Cone filter. The ITG box is 160mm at it's widest point, and the OD of the Apexi cone is 160mm, so this seems like a good match. The box is 333mm long. I'm guessing you know where I'm going with this one...
So how hard do you reckon it would be to mate these bad boys together with a custom caf to make a rampant and rather sexeh induction system? Would it fit under the bonnet of the 25, or am I off my rocker?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
depends on where you are going to take the CAF from. i really ought to make a better feed for mine to be honest.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got two schools of thought, one is to go the fog light blank, the other is to route down to the centre of the meshing underneath the number plate. I'll be bowled over if it fits cus I can do the lot for £50 if all goes to plan.
Somehow I feel it's got to be better then the standard 25 intake. It's in a **** poor position, and IMHO is probably near as bad as an open cone.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
what kind of tubing will you use for the feed?

I'm only going to route one to my standard airbox - I wonder if i can get it infront of the mesh on the front grille without getting too close to the rad. hmmmm.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will either have to be flexi tubing *shudders* or some carefully crafted stainless pipe and samco silicon bends. I'd love to go this route cus it'd look sweet as anything but getting down the front of the car is hard work. I did look at gap between the grill and the rad, think it's about 50mm, which ain't enough to get a good bend in so the CAF intake is pointing out.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread but im doing similar at the weekend but need to know how to remove the resenator box!

Im thinking silimar for a feed to the stock filter box for the ITG panel filter ive just got! Not sure where to attach it tho so will have a good think about it over the weekend! Been triying to find somewhere for the cold air feed to go but as someone mentioned the gap between the rad and slam panel for the front grill is narrow! I still dont think tho that the rad will cause many problems with cold air as when travelling on the motorway which i do day in and day out for work, it wont make the air warm up alot, if any!!!

May have a look at feeding it to the front of the bumper and use the fog blanking plate for now but dont want it perm there as i want to install fogs in the near future!

Any other ideas would always be grateful :)

Ta :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
I'm thinking about chopping a hole in my front bumper now and having a nice port on the front :err:

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brave but hey it could work. I did think of a bonnet scoop but it'd look way too chav, no matter how effective.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
i've just been out at lunchtime and i'm going to go for the bottom mesh and then run the feed on the inside of the bumper then back up behind the old resonator box and behind the battery.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think that'll be the best compramise for me also. Good luck! Don't forget to take some pics though.
I'm gonna weigh up my options. I've got the car for 2 years or so at least so am tempted to fettle some more to keep me interested and not get itchy to buy something else.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i've just been out at lunchtime and i'm going to go for the bottom mesh and then run the feed on the inside of the bumper then back up behind the old resonator box and behind the battery.
That was an idea i had Emps but though it'd just be easier to take the resenator box out and glue some cable ties to the inside of the bumper and hold the cold air feed in place that way! If you can, source a funnel from an ald car sub or home system sub, theyre solid and will be a good channeled feed to the cold air feed, unless you can find something similar for somewhere else!

Are you thinking of attaching the cold air feed to the filter box (if you have one that is) or just directing it to the filter/cone youve already got? I was toying with the idea of cutting the tube off the resenator box that feeds to the filter box and connecting the coald air feed to that from behind the mesh! Will have to suss out if this can be done and will use jubilee clips to hold it in place :)

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my none induction kit idea Dan, but I'd like a bit more oomph in volume from under the hood..hence my DIY induction idea.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well i fitted the ITG panel filter last night and had a good run to work this morning down the M61 - The throttle response is smoother than previously with the stock paper filter! Not a placebo feeling at all, there was a definite improvement! No noise difference but that may change tonite or over the weekend when i decide what to do re a cold air feed and the stock box! Looked at the ideas for a cold air feed last nite and the spaces in the engin bay to feed the cold air feed are tight! May have to come up with some other idea but can someone please tell me how the resenator box comes out??? Ta :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
I dont have a resonator box in mine - and the cold air feed is tiny at the moment.

I'm going to re route one from underneath and over the top. I'l take some pictures.

You can buy those trumpets from demon tweaks.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
I dont have a resonator box in mine - and the cold air feed is tiny at the moment.

I'm going to re route one from underneath and over the top. I'l take some pictures.

my mate did that to his Ronda, massive pipe from the offside foglight blank up to the filter

that used to roar

does anyone still have a resonator box installed!!?!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I do have the res box installed and damn well trying to find out how to remove the bloody thing lol...

The one in my Honda just got pulled out :D Mwuhuhahahaha ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts

Underneath and over the top??? Underneath WHERE and over the top of WHAT? lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts