MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
righty, I followed the instructions on S4RK1's webby on how to remove the dial surround. Man oh man did those two clips catch me out.. was pulling on that thing for about 10mins, lol.. thought it might be plastic clips or something and didn't want to break it :eek: damned metal things.

Anyways.. after going to various shops I found one that had fibre glass materials.. so I bought everything I need and have started work. I estimate that if I keep a good pace, I could finish it in minimum 1 week, but I'll aim for 2.

Then I'll have to get the dials hooked up.. but will go to the garage for that.

Vacuum/Boost: Seems easy enough.. cut pipe, inser T junction.
Oil Temp: Again, easy enough.. replace the drain plug with this one..
Oil Pressure: Ahha.. hmm.. will let the mechanics at the garage do this one, lol.

I've attached 2 pictures to show the dials :p I've gone for something more original than those 7 color ones.. and slightly more sexy too, if I say so myself. :D

Off: Just looks like a mirror/chrome.. you can't see anything.. :p
On: all the numbers etc appear as if by magic.

There's a 3rd cable to connect to my lights.. for the built in dimming feature. So when I turn my lights on, the gauges will dim slightly :D Shweet.

(Sorry for the quality.. was testing me camera phone.. and also.. to show the numbers, I'm holding the wires on a 9v battery, rofl.. so yeah.. I couldn't exactly get a nice angle to take that 2nd pic :p)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
picture quality aint that good but i can just make out the detail. they look superb can't wait to see them fitted. is there actually any practicle use to these surley if there was they wud be fitted as standard.
cheers

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally don't understand why they're not fitted standard...

Oil is the life blood of a car.. but then again, MOST people don't even care.. they buy a car to drive around.. as long as it starts and goes.. they don't give. Lovely for road safety.

The Vacuum is the odd one out.. unless you have a turbo.. it's just for decoration. It's a because it moves up and down alot :p Shows the fuel/air mixture when used on a NASP car.. or shows the Turbo PSI on a turbo'd car. (This righty yeah?)

I'm sure I can change the picture settings on me camera somewhere.. it's meant to be a 1.3mega pixel, lol.. humpf.

Whoa.. okay.. just had a play with it.. it's button 2 to change the quality.. goes all the way up to my desktop size.. 1280 x 1024 :p

So yeah.. expect some nice quality progress pics, rofl

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. I'll show you how it comes out :)

Thing is... where everyone else has them mounted.. I don't like.

A-Pillar: The A-Pillar is already a big blindspot when turning corners... (right turn UK, left turn on mainland).. so getting a pod on there with Dials.. is just making that blind spot bigger :err:

Lower Dash: Well.. it's too low.. and I like to have that little "pocket" there.. throw stuff in, hehe.

AirBag: Well erm.. I've got an airbag

Then other people have put it in place of the clock or just screw them onto dash etc.. etc.. all not good... don't like it. So I'm moulding them onto the dial surround.. going to see if I can get it on there in such a way that the surround can still be removed etc :) My main concern is that the fibre glass and / or surorund will be too weak and cause cracking etc.. but.. most certainly going to be a trial and error experience :p And it's going to take several layers of fibre glass here and there :) Want to have a little lip over the dials just like the dash does, heh.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a good location :)

But I have other plans for the roof, hehe.. :shh:

I'm currently stuck with this project... I found out too late that I didn't have any white spirit.. so the brush I was using.. is ruined.. I need some white spirit and a new brush :(

Pain in the arsh.. driving around without a dash dial surround, lol.. and not being able to continue wiv me work :bored:

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stevo... read me 3rd post... I don't like Pods sticking on the APillar because the APillar is already enough of a blind spot that I don't need it to be even bigger.

Also.. so far. I don't need another surround.. the other thing is.. is is LHD or RHD ? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.