MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals <- (Ive had almost an even ratio of men/women interested in the le500 project)

Although forgetting the le500 dials project for a moment, i'd like to share with you something else.

As of yet, ive only completed this design recently for the speedometer with samples of the rest of the set to follow. Designing from scratch obviously takes alot longer than altering little bits here and there but it could be possible to design yourselves a set of dials right from the beginning, down to finest detail of the shape of the marks as shown above.

Many Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Backlit: Blue

Here's an example of what it would like when backlit with White LED's.

This example illustrates a dial face with blue filters. Using White LED's, at night the above sample is how it would illuminate. The colour filters can be altered to illuminate in many different colours. During the day the dial will always look the same as the first sample. At night, using backlit illumination it would change according to the filters. For this you would however need a backlight conversion within your cluster. Your Oil Gauge, Clock and Heater Dials are already backlit, although the Oil Gauge & Clock OEM LED's are orange and not white, they would need to be change also for a good result.

·
Registered
mgf
252 Posts
I like these better than the le500 ones.

I havnt joined the darkside yet but I am getting more tempted. Stop tormenting me.

I must resist, I must resist!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like these better than the le500 ones.

I havnt joined the darkside yet but I am getting more tempted. Stop tormenting me.

I must resist, I must resist!
Subscribe to the thread, ill keep you updated on the design process of the rest of the pieces in the set.

Cheers
Jason

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Not being rude but sports cars have white dials which the F/TF have already got so I cant see any point in changing them, yes I know the NAC TF has them but think its just a backward step.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are many sports cars which have black dials, intact I would go as far to say there are more sports cars with black dials than White. The problem with White dials, during the day they are fine, and frontlit like on the MGTF they are also fine but when backlit at night they don't have the required contrast ratio between dark areas of the dial face and the illuminated sections. The main problem lies during the transition between daytime and early evening. You may have experienced this where you turn on your side lights because it's getting dark but it's not quite dark enough to black out a White dial face. What happens is you get orange backlit illumination with a greyish dial face. The contrast ratio between grey and orange is nowhere near that of black and orange. The best combination during the day is black with White markings, at night it's black with low contrast colour like orange or red to reduce glare.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
There are many sports cars which have black dials, intact I would go as far to say there are more sports cars with black dials than White. The problem with White dials, during the day they are fine, and frontlit like on the MGTF they are also fine but when backlit at night they don't have the required contrast ratio between dark areas of the dial face and the illuminated sections. The main problem lies during the transition between daytime and early evening. You may have experienced this where you turn on your side lights because it's getting dark but it's not quite dark enough to black out a White dial face. What happens is you get orange backlit illumination with a greyish dial face. The contrast ratio between grey and orange is nowhere near that of black and orange. The best combination during the day is black with White markings, at night it's black with low contrast colour like orange or red to reduce glare.
I put white faced plasma glow in Meg and they have plenty of contrast:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Granted, if you look closely though the contrast ratio is significantly lower than it would be against black dials with that illumination. I once read an article on an outstanding patent for the current invention of white illuminated dial faces and their comparison too black illuminated dial faces. It went on to example a £10,000 normal everyday car which had black dial faces with orange illumination, against a £60,000 sports car with white dial faces and the same orange illumination. The cheaper car had significantly better readability of the markings when illuminated during the whole transition between night and day leaving the resulting outcome that most inexspensive cars had much better dial displays than some of the top sports cars.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Agreed there may technically be less contrast however the legends are completely readable as the picture was taken in daylight. I prefer white dials every time as I think the NAC dials look very cheap and nasty to be honest. The pale dials look very classic in a sporty way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like the NAC LE500 Dials, i think they are a step forward into the modern age of design. I might Poll This!

Gotta love those needles though eh?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The needles and the awful cheap silver surround of the actual dials just looks nasty - the centre of the needle is too big. It all looks like something that has been taken straight from one of those far eastern low cost super-minis to me. The square info panel (which I quite like) sits awkwardly in a shaped area that doesn't match the square itself.

IMHO it just doesn't match the more classic interior.

Having said that your dial front matched to the original dials looks much better to me. Although I'd like the dials in white.

·
Registered
868 Posts
A lot can be said about this subject.
For me it is down to personal preference.
I also quite like a classic white background, I have these on one of my bikes.
But I feel the implementation in my TF looks a bit dated.(altough in my case they are actually silver)
And I do want the possibility to use backlit panels.

Anyone ever owned a SAAB? All lights are green, and you can turn of all instrument lighting except the 0 - 70 mph part of the speedo.
There is a reason. SAAB did extensive research when planing their latest jet fighter,
and the results was that green lightning and the ability to shut of any not important instruments where the best for the pilot...
(Actually I think all fighter plane instrumentation I've ever seen has green lightning)
This knowledge was then transfered to the cars.

Now, everyone might not like gren(or SAAB for that matter..), that includes me, but the results done on a scientific level must sureley mean something..

I'll stick with backlit and blue .... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts